Notices

docking a boat with twins

Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lotojim
I'm going to the ST. Louis boat show this weekend and hopfully I can pick up a lift.
If you have a lift, will you be backing in? I keep our Fastech on a lift and we can only pull in forward. I guess if the lift goes deep enough it's okay(?)
Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patience is the key.. Don't get flustered because others are waiting for the ramp.. You paid the money to use it so its your time..
I agree with someone elses post.. Go to a marina that is empy and practice. Mondays, Tuesdays are always good days..
There is no School book.. If your props turn in it will handle one way or if they turn out it will handle another... You never need throttle... Unless you get impatient or your in a hurry...

Practice, Practice, Practice.... Thats the only way to learn..

Just let me know the ramps you use... That way I can keep a look our for you if I am in your area..!!! LOL just kiddin'
It's also very good to let your wife learn all of this too.. You never know when you may have to park your boat for you...

Good luck
Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Docking is a controlled crash... just remember "Slow Is Pro"
Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think like trim tabs. "Do I want the left side up or the right side down. . ."

using one side forward or the other side reverse gives you different movements of the boat. Like yaw-ing in a plane.

If some practice doesn't help, skip the whole thing, get some twin models and anchor in the channel.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was young, I was always told it's like driving a "tracked" bulldozer. As others have said leave the wheel straight! This is where a lot of people will get themselves in trouble. (It's even more important on a full inboard boat.)

As far as windy or current conditions, I first try to figure out if I can use the wind to my advantage, and if that doesn't work I find it easier to alwaysi back into the wind especially when the wind is blowing perpendicular (left or right) to the slip.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered

If you have been driving a single and get screwed up with the twins docking. Just use the right hand drive and steer it like a single. Boat will almost maneuver the same. Get straightened out and start again. Provided your other boat was a right hand prop other wise do the opposite.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Docking with "twins" is easy .... as long as they can both handle lines well ..... If they are blondes it can get tricky though !?!?!?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
If you have a lift, will you be backing in? I keep our Fastech on a lift and we can only pull in forward. I guess if the lift goes deep enough it's okay(?)
I'll be pulling forward into slip.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by lotojim
Good to hear from you! Did you get an outerlimits??? I hope so! If you did I need a ride in it. We are going to start on it this weekend. It's been too damn cold. Dash, bezzels, carpet,ect. It really cleaned up nice. We really like the boat! Yes, I did get the cover. Thanks.
Oh, and you were right. That stereo kicks butt!! Really! Can't wait to get it to the lake. I'm going to the ST. Louis boat show this weekend and hopfully I can pick up a lift. Make sure you contact me when you get to LOTO agian, I'll buy you a cold one!
Yes, picked up a 37 OL couple of weeks ago, replacing 100% of the interior in it now, its going to be a fun boat. We should be staying at the same place this year so stop by and we will go burn some fuel, and I do miss that system that Site and Sound installed, good luck and send some pictures when you get her all done.
Attached Thumbnails docking a boat with twins-37-outerlimits-3.jpg  
Old 02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Here is the advice someone gave me a long time ago and it really works (similar to your steering wheel story) - with the wheel centered and the power at idle, grasp each shifter by laying your had over the top, palms down. When you do that, your thumbs are pointing in the direction the boat will move if you put it in gear...your right thumb points to port, so if you move your right hand forward (starboard drive forward), your bow will move to port; if you move your right hand back (starboard drive in reverse), your stern will move to port, and so-on. Once you get the hang of it, you can work both drives at the same time (to swing more tightly, put one drive in forward and the other in reverse). Try it - it works!

Remeber - slow is smooth and smooth is fast...

Quick Reply: docking a boat with twins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.