Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boating in Boston Area ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/203040-boating-boston-area.html)

creeper 02-11-2009 12:23 PM

Boating in Boston Area ?

Due to the state of the economy we may be relocating and this is one of the possibilities. Need a little info on the boating in the Boston area? As of now we boat in the northern Chesapeake. And was wondering how and if they compare. Or just some general info. Thanks

fobes 02-11-2009 12:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been boating in Boston for over 30 years. There is a lot to do including numerous places to eat and drink in the area of the city and both north and south of the city. There are also many islands with old Civil War/WWI and WWII forts to explore. The islands make parts of the harbor well protected, and if it wasn't for the sometimes heavy commercial and private boat traffic, it would be relatively calm. Just north is Salem Harbor and Glocester Harbor and the Annesquam (sp?) river, great daytrips. One of my favorite things to do is sit just off the city early in the morning/late night (especially when the tide is high) and check out the skyline, the city really is at sea level. Attached are some pics from an early fall trip to one of my favorite islands. PM me if you want any more info.
Matt

Sick Stinger 02-11-2009 12:43 PM

There is beyound a ton to do. There are 3 poker runs around the area and off hand can think of 10 great places to stay over nights and so on...
-Mike

creeper 02-11-2009 01:02 PM

Well thanks for the replies,This helps greatly..As I am comfortable on the chessy as I grow up boating there and Florida.So north is all (greek to me).....As for the poker runs not happen in a express cruiser,Sold the sonic 2yrs ago.And in this economy I dont see a second boat comming anytime soon.

wananewboat 02-11-2009 05:25 PM

A lot of good boating down on Cape Cod. Not far from Boston.

AIR TIME 02-11-2009 06:46 PM

DON'T DO IT, STAY AWAY, WE HAVE ALL DEMS HERE TAXES ARE CRAZY, NEW GOVERNOR TOGETHER WE CAN OBAMAS PAY IS TAXING CANDY, ADDING 27 CENTS A GAL OF GAS, WANTS TO PUT A TRANSPONDER ON YOUR CAR SO IF YOU DRIVE TO MUCH WILL ADD TAX TO YOU ALSO WANTS TO SEE IF YOU GO TO NH FOR STUFF AND TAX YOU ON THAT. THIS STATE SUCKS MY TOWN SUCKS OH EASTON ITS A TONY TOWN WERE PEOPLE WITH MONEY BUY HOUSES, MY TAXES HAVE DOUBLED IN 7 YEARS . HEY I HAVE A 2800 SQFT HOUSE YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR 500,000 I AM 20MINS TO BOSTON AT 2AM OTHER WISE 1HOUR, WINTER 30MINS TO THE CAPE SUMMER BRING A COOLER. OK 475,000 :evilb: AND IN THE BOSTON NORTH TO CAPECOD BAY WATER IS COLD UNLESS YOU GO TO BUZZARDS BAY OR CAPECOD ISLAND SIDE THIS PLACE SUCKS:grinser010::evilb::evilb: NOW BUY MY HOUSE 450,000 OH THERES NO WORK HERE TO CAUSE ALL THE COMPANYS ARE MOVING OUT TAXES TAXES

creeper 02-11-2009 07:30 PM

My man.... are you kidding me......:rolleyes:..My wife is in pharma...Im moving when she tells me...:pWhen you grow up,and get in the game you learn when to through in the towel.....:(.:........:ernaehrung004:

All jokes aside I am also thinking of liveaboard....a nice 53 to 64 Hatt...YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE......:ernaehrung004:

Sick Stinger 02-11-2009 07:31 PM

Arti need to stay way from the vike/perks/OC and shouldnt be taken with Beer says so right on the bottle. I warned you.....
-Mike

Sick Stinger 02-11-2009 07:32 PM

Creeper he's 50! he is grown nothing against you but probably older then you

creeper 02-11-2009 07:42 PM

ALLL SAYYYY..........Life can't be that bad there....or should I drink my martinis faster......to be on the same page.

creeper 02-11-2009 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger (Post 2798383)
Creeper he's 50! he is grown nothing against you but probably older then you

He is.................and depressing................

pm203 02-11-2009 08:06 PM

The economy in Boston is booming compared to Florida or Michigan. Its nice in the summer for about 3 months. The rest of the year isn't bad if you like seasons. The people are rude and the roads suck. But, there are no floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, fires etc. Not the worst place to live. Boating in Boston can be cool. Or you could keep your boat in NH at the lake and live on it during the weekends. Gorgeous scenery with mountains, freshwater and nicer people.

creeper 02-11-2009 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 2798436)
The economy in Boston is booming compared to Florida or Michigan. Its nice in the summer for about 3 months. The rest of the year isn't bad if you like seasons. The people are rude and the roads suck. But, there are no floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, fires etc. Not the worst place to live. Boating in Boston can be cool. Or you could keep your boat in NH at the lake and live on it during the weekends. Gorgeous scenery with mountains, freshwater and nicer people.

Thanks....this is what I'm wondering about....

Whats the so called season....April to Oct or shorter/longer?

pm203 02-11-2009 10:29 PM

Gets boatable around mid May and ends mid Oct for alot of people.

oldschoolfan 02-12-2009 07:05 AM

That was kind of depressing i agree. I live on Cape Cod and the boating here is great. Not sure if you are planning on living in Boston proper or outside of the city. Look into plymouth area. Nice marina a Brewer yard close to the canal so you can get to the couth side of the cape in a short ride then you have buzzards bay the Elizabeth islands, Newport and block island or head to Nantucket sound and you have Hyannis, Falmouth, Marthas Vinyard, and Nantucket. Let me know if I can help in anyway. I am in the real estste business and do not touch residental sales, but have a few contacts on that side of the business.

Josh

Sick Stinger 02-12-2009 07:11 AM

Screw NH laws of noise and speed. And its lakes alot so your going in circles. Keep it in the river or bay best option to actually go somewhere. I love it hear wouldnt move even if i had to.
-Mike

Sick Stinger 02-12-2009 07:47 AM

Scott you and i will discuss this on Sat. let me tell you.
-Mike

Audiofn 02-12-2009 08:41 AM

Plymouth? That is like Dorchester with a view!! :D

The taxes can be a little on the tough side and maybe getting worse but I think that the Gov. is going to get a lot of resistence to that and if we are lucky this will be his only term.

Lots of good boating in the area and live aboards are doable if you know how. I have a customer that I will be going to see this afternoon that is on a live aboard.

Audiofn 02-12-2009 08:42 AM

What company is she looking at in Pharma?

pm203 02-12-2009 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger (Post 2798647)
Screw NH laws of noise and speed. And its lakes alot so your going in circles. Keep it in the river or bay best option to actually go somewhere. I love it hear wouldnt move even if i had to.
-Mike

He says he has a criuser. Speed and noise shouldn't be a issue. I have boated in Boston, and do miss it a bit. I don't miss the floating telephone poles or the pieces of deteriorating dock pieces floating just above the surface. Lake Winni is so much better. Beautiful scenery, no sales tax, friendly people and excellent service 7 days a week if your boat needs something. In Boston, you can't even get your boat hauled out on a weekend unless you know someone.

Sick Stinger 02-12-2009 10:47 AM

Yea lake winni is great........... if you dont have a perfromance boat or dont mind going in circles. Dont get me wrong i wouldnt mind seeing it once or twice but so much more to do around here and i dont have any problem where i am.
Mike

Pismo10 02-12-2009 10:51 AM

South Shore of Boston is very nice for boating, North River, Scituate harbor. Homes are cheaper than the north shore. Winter is long and cold in Mass.

pm203 02-12-2009 12:13 PM

Lake Winni is 72 square miles! If you are going in circles, you should check your steering. :D

Sick Stinger 02-12-2009 12:26 PM

My ride to block is about 72 mile there and back and thats just 1 of many places to go! beside Martas Vineyard, Newport, Bristol, Long Island Cutthunk just to name a few of the many.
-Mike

pm203 02-12-2009 12:34 PM

I'm with you. But if gas was like it was last year, I doubt alot of people will actually do those rides every weekend.

pm203 02-12-2009 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 2798865)
They also just passed the speed limit laws.. so I hope the cruiser doesn't do anything more then cruise...

The speed limit is unenforceable. It will be business as usual this year. Of course, you won't be able to buzz the Weirs at 90 MPH.

Sick Stinger 02-12-2009 01:38 PM

No 90! Danm. PM agreed on the fuel cost i know it hurts everyone i dont care how much money you have you still think about it....
-Mike

pm203 02-12-2009 01:42 PM

First of all, the test zones were not issuing tickets for speed limits last year, they were just monitoring speeds.
Secondly, the arsewholes that passed this law made sure that they tied it into your driving record. So if you get a ticket on the lake, it can affect your auto insurance.
Third of all, in two years, it comes up for review again. lets hope it gets squashed.

pm203 02-12-2009 02:18 PM

This whole speed limit thing is so ridiculous. How you pass a law based on fear and not current facts and statistics is beyond me. The politicians responsible for its passing should be hung for treason. They are a disgraceful and dishonest bunch. Anyhow, I usually don't hang out in Braun bay, but this year, I might buzz by. I need to circle Bear Island a few times first.

pm203 02-12-2009 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 2798942)
I am with you man.. It jumps my blood pressure every time I think of the stupidity behind it.... So much for live free or die...

Isn't the guy who was pushing the limits the most lives on bear island right?

I will join you.. Lets pull all mufflers off as well!!!! :evilb::ernaehrung004::evilb:

The Bear Island buch started the whole thing. Its payback for the Littlefield accident. They got Rep Pilliod to start the shameful deception.

pm203 02-12-2009 02:52 PM

I appreciate the offer, but I am going do the Alton Bay Winterfest this weekend. Nice talking to you and enjoy your weekend.

slboatdrinks 02-12-2009 08:19 PM

I will never bring my boat back to Lake Winni again.

Sorry OCD and the like, but it takes all the fun out of boating to keep looking over your shoulder for the stupid MP for an infraction they might or might not decide to hand you.

Not to mention the weekend warrior boat rental experts. :mad:

pm203 02-12-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 2799175)
However, running in the broads on a windy day in her really was something to remember!!!:ernaehrung004:

Something to remember? How about something to look forward to!! :D

creeper 02-13-2009 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by oldschoolfan (Post 2798643)
That was kind of depressing i agree. I live on Cape Cod and the boating here is great. Not sure if you are planning on living in Boston proper or outside of the city. Look into plymouth area. Nice marina a Brewer yard close to the canal so you can get to the couth side of the cape in a short ride then you have buzzards bay the Elizabeth islands, Newport and block island or head to Nantucket sound and you have Hyannis, Falmouth, Marthas Vinyard, and Nantucket. Let me know if I can help in anyway. I am in the real estste business and do not touch residental sales, but have a few contacts on that side of the business.

Josh

Hey,Thanks I Appreciate It.I don't know what or where for areas as the companies have been in Boston,Ma or now CT.

Bill

creeper 02-13-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 2798692)
Plymouth? That is like Dorchester with a view!! :D

The taxes can be a little on the tough side and maybe getting worse but I think that the Gov. is going to get a lot of resistence to that and if we are lucky this will be his only term.

Lots of good boating in the area and live aboards are doable if you know how. I have a customer that I will be going to see this afternoon that is on a live aboard.

Taxes in my area now are some of the highest....And just keep going.....

If you dont mind me asking whats his liveaboard....Make/Size?

creeper 02-13-2009 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 2798696)
What company is she looking at in Pharma?

I'm not sure....(The BOSS Just Tells me the areas and says check them out)....

She is in R&D.......Shes the smart one in the family....:D

creeper 02-13-2009 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 2798745)
He says he has a criuser. Speed and noise shouldn't be a issue. I have boated in Boston, and do miss it a bit. I don't miss the floating telephone poles or the pieces of deteriorating dock pieces floating just above the surface. Lake Winni is so much better. Beautiful scenery, no sales tax, friendly people and excellent service 7 days a week if your boat needs something. In Boston, you can't even get your boat hauled out on a weekend unless you know someone.

I dont have to worry about speed or noise anymore.:(

On the flipside I have alot of other benefits that makes up for the speed and noise, at least for now.:food-smiley-009:

I have never been a lake boater but.....Who knows anymore.I never though I would be thinking of moving north I always wanted to go south....

pm203 02-13-2009 10:26 AM

Nobody was more of an ocean boater than me. I used to laugh at the people who boated on a lake. But, after going to visit a friend of mine and going for a ride in his Topgun on the lake, I changed my mind. Once and awhile, I miss the ocean, but if it really gets me, I can always trailer the boat 115 miles and drop it in the ocean. Oh, and one more thing, being in freshwater keeps the boat much nicer. There are 15 year old boats in the boathouse that look like new!