Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ? >

Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Notices

Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Old 02-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
First, clean the heck out of it, use a good oil cleaner to get the oil that has seeped into the gel.

Go purchase some Imron 555U Mixing tint white paint and some activator and accelerator.

Mask and wet sand the transom with 400.

Mask and clean again. Make sure you use a fish eye additive and cover the entire boat really well.

Put on a respirator. Paint it.

Give 2 days before you do anything crazy. 24 hrs if you want to sand out any runs.

In the LONG run, the Imron will be easier to clean, keep clean and maintain than the gelcoat. It will not yellow and cleaning the exhaust soot off will be much easier. A simple wax job will clean it and keep it clean.

Rik would ya clear the Imron? They will have to tint to match the gel,Hustler isnt real white on the gel

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Is there any cons on painting the outside transom?

My transom is staying dingy looking now,Ive been using the hull cleaner and it has etched the gel, so it gets stained ever time out in the boat,we have a real muddy lake here.My fiberglass/painter guy is recommending we paint it ,because with even wet sanding and buffing its still going to stain,I am thinking this will eliminate the staining and be just like the side that have paint and ya just wash it and the scum line washes off,I Figure paint it the same color as the white gel on the boat now.I have the boat striped down anyway.

I would appreciate any opinions and EXPERIENCE advice on paint vs gel?

Thanks
Rob

Heres some old picks, I also need a new ladder,any suggestions,Hustler wanted $$
strip I have a new hustler ladder in the box make me a offer
[email protected]
Old 02-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Rik would ya clear the Imron? They will have to tint to match the gel,Hustler isnt real white on the gel
I would not clear the Imron. No need and without it there is no chance of it yellowing over the years if you want to keep the boat which the currently economy is forcing people to do nowdays.

You'd be suprised how close the 555U is to the white gelcoat that boat manufacturers use.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mwdill
yea, i might need a new ladder too,

Hustler wants $500.00 for the ladder and 2 years ago it was $250,I snoozed We tried getting the screws/bolts out of the Ladder tonight,it started cracking the fiberglass, it must have the nut style, nut inserts made into the swim platform when the boat was made,and must of been installed with no anti seize its not accessible at all. Any suggestions?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
I would not clear the Imron. No need and without it there is no chance of it yellowing over the years if you want to keep the boat which the currently economy is forcing people to do nowdays.

You'd be suprised how close the 555U is to the white gelcoat that boat manufacturers use.
your in FL? back from the strip club already?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I had my transom painted and cleared. Made a world of difference. Mine was done with almost all the equipment on the transom. Paint guy meticulously taped it all and shot the paint. Looks great and much easier to care for.

Tom
Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you want to DIY Interlux makes a poly paint that saves the hassle of using imron. On another thread guys raved about the interlux paint.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Registered

Not trying to dog the Imron guys, good product, but is it paint for heavy equipment or dump truck beds. Use a good base coat clear coat paint. PPG, sikkens. And if you bump into something at the dock it is easily repaired.

Quick Reply: Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.