Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ? >

Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Notices

Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Panther
Rob, you sure that lower isn't one of my old ones???? The dents look exactly like one of my old lowers....

Yes I stamped my name in all the cases and parts,its sad that I would think I would have 2.theres gouges in the sides of the foots also,it was defently slung around .I wonder what care they took building the out side,I see no 101,Now ital look like sh!t and the rest looks brand new!!

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Rob
VIP Member

I'm scared to run it now on the rag is what i wiped out of the shift rod tunnel,this was left there from when the upper gear came apart,and after the full rebuild,pretty good size slivers,the other is a bronze looking knurl,it was on top of the shift fork, I don't see anything inside,alittle dry. But ck out the big bur hanging inside , just waiting to fall off, How much trouble would it of been to debur this?

Panther Im wondering if any of the bearings got replaced,I paid for all new.
Attached Thumbnails Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-damaged-metal-new-drives-5-17-09-025-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-damaged-metal-new-drives-5-17-09-026-large-2-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-damaged-metal-new-drives-5-17-09-037-large-large-.jpg  

Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-damaged-metal-new-drives-5-17-09-052-large-.jpg  

Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Rob
VIP Member

the transom is painted and the port side the chip in the back side had a hard time blending, So we recreared the hole side,there was a few rock chips in the front,I asked him twice to touch up and not to clear over the chips, well he forgot,knowing the person up there wet sanding saw it.

Thinking about making him reclear fixing the inexcusable defects.What do you all think?

Looks like 2009 is the year for everybody to sh!t on me.I'm burnt out.
Attached Thumbnails Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-damaged-metal-new-drives-5-17-09-019-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-damaged-metal-new-drives-5-17-09-007-large-.jpg  

Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure what to say Rob.... bummer...

May as well pull that drive apart and see what was done. The upper is very easy to take apart and assemble. Give me a call if you need anything.

As for the paint, I dunno... May have to start putting it back together at some point... One trip down the road and a rock will kick up and hit the boat.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Question

Help Please....

I need some opinions, When I told my guy what I wanted done to the transom, which was fill water pickup hole and 2 dumps, seal up thru hulls ,gel up the the exhaust holes and drive plate opening,gel it, paint it white and clear,wet sand and buff like a car paint job, no sand scratches. Make it look new, all scratches,chips, etc fixed,

Its got a pretty good orange peel.

Well Its painted and wet sanded and buffed,I had to have them buff it twice they left sand scratchesBut he did not wet sand and buff the bottom of the swim platform,He's claiming it wasn't figured in and nobody See's it anyway.Sounds like BS to me.He wants to charge me like 8 hours to do it.He already charge me $5k to do the transom.I had the bottom redone, and nobody can see it .I replacing the lader just because it was dingy looking.I know its not finished and you can see it on the trailer, I consider its not completed.

What do you all think?

Thanks
Rob
Attached Thumbnails Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-paint-transom-005-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-paint-transom-015-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-paint-transom-017-large-.jpg  

Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-paint-transom-plate-046-large-.jpg  

Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Its hard to get the clear to flow when it is upside down (under the swim platform) but if that is what you paid for thats what you should get. Even though its hard to see under there you know its there. 5 K is plenty to do the transom since you spent the time to remove everything. Bruce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388

Looks like 2009 is the year for everybody to sh!t on me.I'm burnt out.

I know exactly what you mean..Ive been scammed a few times this year. Its unfortunate...Hey you making the Horn Island run with GC offshore.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jassman
I know exactly what you mean..Ive been scammed a few times this year. Its unfortunate...Hey you making the Horn Island run with GC offshore.
It want be anytime soon in my boat,My next trip is Royal purple in a buds boat and then New Orleans boat race july 26.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Is there any cons on painting the outside transom?

My transom is staying dingy looking now,Ive been using the hull cleaner and it has etched the gel, so it gets stained ever time out in the boat,we have a real muddy lake here.My fiberglass/painter guy is recommending we paint it ,because with even wet sanding and buffing its still going to stain,I am thinking this will eliminate the staining and be just like the side that have paint and ya just wash it and the scum line washes off,I Figure paint it the same color as the white gel on the boat now.I have the boat striped down anyway.

I would appreciate any opinions and EXPERIENCE advice on paint vs gel?

Thanks
Rob

Heres some old picks, I also need a new ladder,any suggestions,Hustler wanted $$
Use the best ! AWLGRIP,..........fuel and oil will not stain it either. Highend ,. boat, and ship builders use it too.

Imron will blister if you leave in the water for long extended periods,...........AWLGRIP will not.

Good Luck

Jon
Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Strip Poker 388;2868817]I'm scared to run it now on the rag is what i wiped out of the shift rod tunnel,this was left there from when the upper gear came apart,and after the full rebuild,pretty good size slivers,the other is a bronze looking knurl,it was on top of the shift fork, I don't see anything inside,alittle dry. But ck out the big bur hanging inside , just waiting to fall off, How much trouble would it of been to debur this?

OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that SUKS BIG time ... may want to open it up and have a look see for peace of mind ..U have more patience then me BIG Daddy good luck

Quick Reply: Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.