Notices

Ilmor's new drive

Old 02-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Is it a twin downshaft like the 6?
Yes. A single vertical shaft comes out of the upper gearcase, and splits to two shafts in the lower unit. The entire dry-sump oil pump and reservoir package is in the lower unit, and includes a low oil pressure alarm sensor.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Yes. A single vertical shaft comes out of the upper gearcase, and splits to two shafts in the lower unit. The entire dry-sump oil pump and reservoir package is in the lower unit, and includes a low oil pressure alarm sensor.
Thank You
Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
I was blown away by the knowledge and patience of the reps.
The dark-haired guy on the left in Post #40 is Paul Milligan, who designed the drive and the transmission. Pretty hard to stump him with a design question! They spent a lot of time on it, and did not ignore what has been done on NXT's and #6's.

You'll note that the trim and steering hoses can be attached from either side (see the capped-off fittings at the top of the transom assembly), and that the engine and transmission attached directly to the drive; no rear mounts to line up. They offer a laser alignment tool to installers to make sure the forward mounts are correct. The U-joint bellows is outside the boat, so your boat won't sink if you damage one.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,690 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Hey guys,

Here's a link to the short piece I did at the L.A. Show on the Ilmor Indy drive when it was shown to the press:

http://www.powerboatmag.com/ilmor-ma...ern-drive.html

I think the coolest thing about this product, aside from its dry-sump transmission, is that Ilmor is going to offer it as a stand-alone product so it can be used with other builders' engines. Though it's been done with the NXT1 drive, Mercury Racing does not and likely will never sell the unit separately from the 700SC engine.

As to why Ilmor built the Indy drive to handle 900 hp ... in all likelihood, at least in the near future, that has nothing to do with them offering a 900-hp engine. In talking with Ilmor's Paul Ray, I've learned that meeting the current CARB and pending EPA standards on power that hefy is a major challenge. Not beyond capabilities, but expensive as all get-out.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most impressive. I knew Ilmor would do their homework on this package and it was better that I expected. The drive robs less power from the engine than its predecessors. Pricing will be in line with Mercs. You will see these in a lot of other manufacters boats including Fountain in the very near future.
Can't wait to see what the hp is on their new engine late this fall. Only gets better. It was also noted that there was a very nice 42' Fountain in the Fountain booth with Ilmor power.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I think the coolest thing about this product, aside from its dry-sump transmission, is that Ilmor is going to offer it as a stand-alone product so it can be used with other builders' engines. Though it's been done with the NXT1 drive, Mercury Racing does not and likely will never sell the unit separately from the 700SC engine.
That's exactly what I was referring to in an earlier post!!! If/when there's huge success with this drive package, don't be surprised if we see the NXT sold seperately! Just a hunch...
Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
that's a lot of $$$$$
Mike I think the key word is RETAILS! Not to mention that the new Gen IV engin make more HP than the Merc package and you'll be able to buy the drive seperately later this year unlike the NXT.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Remove the plate on the back of the drive and the tie bar mount bolts in. It is also an inspection port for the drive.
And fill port for the drive oil!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT

Sorry I missed you. We talked a bit to Bob and Ian about your boat today.

One of these events we get a drink and talk shiit.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NASCAT
What you think there lil buddy??

Quick Reply: Ilmor's new drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.