Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
FL commercial boating license to take 12 people out?? >

FL commercial boating license to take 12 people out??

Notices

FL commercial boating license to take 12 people out??

Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FL commercial boating license to take 12 people out??

I know this is off the wall, but here goes.

A retirement home / Assisted living facility in FL purchased a pontoon to take residents out on. They asked if the driver of the pontoon (being paid by facility) would need a CDL, like driving the short bus.

I have no idea?? I told them maybe a captains license but I thought those are only good for 6 people, they want to take 12 at a time??

Any idea what FL law is???
Old 03-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

6 pack lic, is the first lic, you would get then you can go for the biger lic, until you reach the cruise ship lic, leval after about 30 years
if there not paying customer's i dont think you need a lic,
but im not shure .

best thing is google florida coast guard and see if they have the answer.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my understanding you only need a license if you are paid to take the people out.

I think he will need a license. Or just let one of the residents pilot it.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he is being paid by anyone for operating a vessel he needs to have a captains license. This is USCG and nothing to do with FL. OUPV ( 6 pack) is the first step then 100 ton after. Figure from the time you take the courses pass the tests, it will take about 1 yr before you have your license.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
WILL,they can ask all the residence what they did for a living,maybe one of them was a boat captian,LOL,
Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Uh, Oh. Think I'm in trouble !! LOL
Attached Thumbnails FL commercial boating license to take 12 people out??-dec-30-09-marco-key-west-010-%5B800x600%5D.jpg   FL commercial boating license to take 12 people out??-dec-30-09-marco-key-west-020-%5B800x600%5D.jpg  
Old 03-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get your six pack lic and, providing you have the experience you can get the Masters upgrade immediately. The problem you will have is that the Master's lic doesnt have a pass. limit... with a Masters, the pass. limit relates to the boat... in other words, any boat taking over 6 pass, has to be certified commercial to do so by the USCG and I dont know if your pontoon boat will meet the strict standards set forth for commercial pass. craft. 36" railings... unsinkable life rafts...etc... These are all federal restrictions... the state of Florida has nothing to do with it.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the posts, I told them that if the guy is being paid he needed a capt license. I mean its kind of grey area, the facility owns and pays a guy hourly, the residents don't pay to go out since it is owned by their retirement home.

Their next question was how much does a Capt charge per hour?? I have no idea I guessed $50-100 an hour??
Old 03-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Thanks for the posts, I told them that if the guy is being paid he needed a capt license. I mean its kind of grey area, the facility owns and pays a guy hourly, the residents don't pay to go out since it is owned by their retirement home.

Their next question was how much does a Capt charge per hour?? I have no idea I guessed $50-100 an hour??
We use a series of captains to move the insurance and repo boats that we deal with.. Std is 100-150 per day. No money in being a capt.

Good luck man.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The operator needs a license.

The operator of that vessel will need a Master's license.

The Master's license is the next step up from a 6Pack OUPV (Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel), license.

The Master's license is then classed according the licensee's experience on working on appropriate vessels of qualifying tonnage.

I.E. 50 Ton Near Shore,,50 Ton OffShore,,100 Ton Near Shore,,100 Ton Offshore.

I would assume that as long as this vessel does not go more than 25 miles offshore, a 50 Ton Near Shore Master's License will suffice.

Quick Reply: FL commercial boating license to take 12 people out??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.