Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blame it on the Canada!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLee
Good, and interesting idea.

Just curious, but why does this have to be "set up" in the first place? There shouldn't have to be a designated group, to allow people to cruise? If you don't want to go fast, then don't go fast?

It's a good idea, because clearly not enough people can "do their own thing" without the club having to hold their hand and change parts of the event. It's getting sad seeing more people every year needing someone to tell them how to be responsible, or how to have fun at an event. Clubs are having to go to the trouble of setting up different classes all together, just so people don't feel "intimidated" by others that choose to run faster, or drive beyond their limits due to lack of self control?

Just get some buddies to run with, and cruise your own speed people? Who cares if you want to run 50-60, but some others want to run 120? You paid the entry fee, so run how ever slow or fast you want?
The biggest problem I see is perception. The new boaters that the sport needs, the guys with 27 Bajas, 29 Scarabs... are often intimidated and don't think they can come to a poker run because they don't have a 100 mph boat. This lets them know there is a place for them and that they will have a great day on the water. It also provides a place for people with faster boats to run their equipment easier and not be left alone.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
It's a great idea Peter for a few reasons. At FMO we usually have enough boats to have 2 or sometimes even 3 groups based on their capabilities. When there is a slow group it encourages smaller boats to come out and join us who may be otherwise intimidated by the "big dogs". We feel the future of the sport depends on including the smaller boats. I've seen more than one these (nameless) smaller boats sold or traded in for a Nor Tech or other like boat. Good for the boat builders as well.
Then there is increased safety etc. which we all have a stake in.
I look forward to running with you guys this summer in the over 55 MPH club.
Bob
If Bob likes it, I like it!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double R Performance
The biggest problem I see is perception. The new boaters that the sport needs, the guys with 27 Bajas, 29 Scarabs... are often intimidated and don't think they can come to a poker run because they don't have a 100 mph boat. This lets them know there is a place for them and that they will have a great day on the water. It also provides a place for people with faster boats to run their equipment easier and not be left alone.

Good thoughts, and that sounds like a great approach.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

at WOT I run 60 something mph so 55 would be... 90% of WOT, so I'm in for that!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Registered

Our club SPBA has 3 classes under 50 mph
under 75 mph
unlimited
Classes with slowest 1st to leave 20 min apart We usualy
end up at all points pretty close together
Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Registered

That's the speed a lot of people in LEOPA (Lake Erie) run of course some of the waves are so big that's about all you can run But seriously our club is more middle of the pack boats, and most of the runs cost no more than $250.00 and that includes all your meals, docking, goodies, nice prizes and money left over to donate to charity.

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 03-11-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wellcrafted
Our club SPBA has 3 classes under 50 mph
under 75 mph
unlimited
Classes with slowest 1st to leave 20 min apart We usualy
end up at all points pretty close together
PRA runs a similar set up in the 1999 Islands, but they have gone one step further.
The fast group leaves first.
If you are trying to grow the sport, and provide a safe enviroment, why would you send slow boats out first only to have the faster boats have to run through that pack.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Registered

This is a great idea. When I was at PRA, I felt that not enough was being done to encourage owners of smaller single- or twin-engine boats to participate in poker runs. I love the big boats as much as the next guy, but if our goal is to grow the sport, we need to encourage the regular guys with the 28' to 32' to bring their boats to events. I even ran a 29 Velocity in the Sarasota poker run and wrote a story on it to share my experiences. This is a step in the right direction, in my humble opinion.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluellama
PRA runs a similar set up in the 1999 Islands, but they have gone one step further.
The fast group leaves first.
If you are trying to grow the sport, and provide a safe enviroment, why would you send slow boats out first only to have the faster boats have to run through that pack.
1999 Islands? Is that what Prince was singing about in that song? Must be some kind of party place.

Last edited by salesmanship; 03-11-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.