Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
?? for Florida Powerboat Club members >

?? for Florida Powerboat Club members

Notices

?? for Florida Powerboat Club members

Old 03-20-2002, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again gents, I thought i had nerves of steel, but as i get closer my knees are getting a little weak. I am VERY familiar with Kew West and Duval St. Been there many many times, I have had my Boston Whaler and my little jet boat out in the waters around there, but nothing like this I have a Garmin Etrex legend and i have programed in the maps for the area but not sure how to program in waypoints as of yet With you guys help I WILL SURVIVE.

Thanks

Bob Scanlon
Old 03-21-2002, 12:18 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

You're going to have a ball, don't worry. If you have trouble inputting waypoints, just use the GPS as a map, buy the chip for the Florida Keys, for some brands it's one chip, for others there is one chip that goes from Palm Beach to Marathon and another chip that goes from Marathon to the Dry Tortugas.

If you find yourself in doubt during the trip, call me on my cell at 954-980-2643. The Keys have been my boating back yard for almost 50 years now. It's a pleasure, as Medicine Man has said, to share their beauty with our Friends.

As you travel down there, make notes of the landmarks, buoys, etc. so on the return trip you'll have some known reference points. Watch your chart so you know what key or island you're parallel to. If you're completely lost in terms of course direction, but have a land reference, use the compass rose on the chart to plot your next heading.

Just remember that the further south you go in the Keys the more your heading will take a westerly course (On the southbound leg) thus the 245 to 255 degree compass heading as a general direction from about Islamorada south on the ICW side.

You'll do fine!!!

Steve
Old 03-21-2002, 02:21 PM
Registered

Steve,
I spent several hours with a highlighter going over the series of charts that i have. I marked out the hawks channel and then highlighted ever exit or entrance into the iwc in case of rough water, then I highlighted ALL the stops that Medicine Man wrote about. I am definitly much more relaxed after reading these posts. I took note of your number and I WILL BE CALLING !! also I recieved a call from Medicine Man and he left message with cell and home #'s. I will call him backvery shortly.

It sounds like you guys know excatly what kind of trip I am after. No plans , just sorta go with the breeze and see whats happening at each stop. The more fun im having the longer i stay.

Do you think i will have problems getting a spot at the Gallion. I hate to reserve something and then not make it there on time due to my new info with all the watering holes on the way south

Also how many totol miles do you think it is. I planned a fuel stop around Islamorada. I have a range of probably 200-225 miles with a 150 gal tank conservitive but dont want to even think about running low and really HAVING TO "GO WITH THE BREEZE"
Old 03-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Registered

By the way, I might be taking this trip solo. I havent got a definate from any one of my friends, so i just might be looking for a new friend to help navigate if anyone is interested, or if anybody wants to hook up for refreshments while im down give me a call 518 361-0811

Bob
Old 03-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Registered

Bob
Islamarada is a ggod fuel stop. At that point you're about 85 miles from KW. Holiday Isle now has 93 as does Cobra in Snake Creek. I would definitly call the Galleon before I arrived, even if you only call the morning that you would leaving to go there. When you call I'll go over all this with you as you follow on the chart. Don't worry, it's a ton of fun down there
RLT
Old 03-21-2002, 03:33 PM
DJD
Registered

I highly doubt you will have trouble getting a last minute slip at the Galleon at this time of year.
If for some really strange reason you can't, there are several marinas in the same place but I know you won't need them.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:51 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Bob,

DJD is probably correct, but just to be safe make the rez. Rememebr DJD now owns a sportfisherman so we're not sure of his mental state ..... We Love him mind you, we're just not certain....... If you can't make it, you can cancel and they won't charge you. Medicine Man (Robert) and I visit there several times a year and find that making a rez is more of a courtesy issue than actual fear of no place to dock. Warren Chadwick is simply a neat old salt, he's the dockmaster, he is also, unequivocably the boss.
Arriving without a rez is not good for your health at Warrens dock

You'll also find him kind, considerate and genuine soul if ever there was one. You're gonna have a ball!

In terms of having someone go with you, you might post on the general board a heading of "Room to share on my trip to KW or contact Stu Jones at Florida Powerboat Club in Pompano Beach.

Good luck!

Steve
Old 03-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Registered

I usually refer to the Galleon Marina as Warren's World. You just have to understand that you are going to have to play by his rules, which are no big deal as long as he knows that you're coming and DON'T start your engine late at night and wake him up . A bottle of Captain Morgan's spice rum goes a long way with him also. If youve got the time overnighting at Holiday Isle on the way down and back is always alot of fun. It gives you time to enjoy the flavor of the Keys. I wish that I had the time I would come down and join you.
The number at the Galleon is 1-800-662-7462
Old 03-22-2002, 11:12 PM
cast

Thumbs up CAST-A-LINE MARINE INC

IF YOU SOULD BRAKE DOWN AND YOU NEED HELP CALL US AND WE CAN HELP YOU .954-966-0240 YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME IN THE FLA KEYS THE GPS IS THE BEST TOOL ON THE BOAT IN THE KEYS HAVE A GOOD TIME.

Old 03-22-2002, 11:25 PM
Bruce

Medicine Man was kind enough to send me his list of GPS coordinates, I can't recommend them highly enough!! If you can program a GPS his data will lead you to alot of fun!!

Quick Reply: ?? for Florida Powerboat Club members

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.