Cable Steering Stabilizer? >

Cable Steering Stabilizer?

Notices

Cable Steering Stabilizer?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable Steering Stabilizer?

I have a 1989 Century Ultra One with a 454 Mag and a Bravo outdrive. It will run mid 60's by the speedo which isn't fast compared to boats on here but fast enough I worry about the cable steering. If the steering cable ever broke or something happened to the power steering I fear the boat would cut hard to the left and roll and/or throw everyone out of the boat. I heard there is some type of dampener or hydraulic shock assist type deal that would stop the outdrive from turning all the way to the left if something in the steering ever broke? Can someone tell me what it is called or where to find one? Also I'd like to add an exhaust, manifold, carb. etc. in the future and maybe see a little more speed.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:24 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Check out full hydraulic steering.
One manufacturer is marine machine.
I had it on my old boat... held her nice and steady.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

You are approaching the speeds where hyrdaulic steering is recommended.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the dampeners, but you can get a single hydraulic ram add on that still uses your cable steering and also will stabilize the drive. This system is the first step on the way to a full hydraulic helm system
Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Registered

I did some more research and I guess the Drew Marine Sidewinder Steering Stabilizer is what I am talking about. For a single engine would I need one or two of them? Can they be mounted internally or do they have to be external mount? Anyone have a used set for sale? Hydraulic steering would be nice but isn't worth the cost for this boat. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you buy used you're not much better off than you are now. Single hydraulic assist isn't much more. If your tiller and gimble pin are in good shape you should be alright at that speed. If you lose a belt or blow a hose it will be hard to turn but won't effect the steering part.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jdub with the saber has an internally mounted hydraulic system for sale cheap. drew marine stablizers work ok but are no replacement for external steering.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Chris
Gold Member

I have used the Drew Marine, Sidewinder, steering stabilizers before, on a mid-sixties boat. They worked great.

http://www.drewmarine.com/products/s...idewinder.html

But I have to agree, once you go full hydraulic, with dual rams, all the way to the helm, you will never go back to the cable system.

I think Drew Marine makes exceptionally good products.

Chris
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Only the Best Will Do!

Originally Posted by CenturyUltra
I did some more research and I guess the Drew Marine Sidewinder Steering Stabilizer is what I am talking about. For a single engine would I need one or two of them? Can they be mounted internally or do they have to be external mount? Anyone have a used set for sale? Hydraulic steering would be nice but isn't worth the cost for this boat. Thanks.
Your application requires two of the oversized "Hatch shocks" that are marketed by Drew marine as a steering stabilizer. For the cost of two of those you can almost buy a real add-on steering system. let me know if I can be of help.

http://www.keitheickert.com/detail.aspx?ID=8875
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Chris
Gold Member

I completely agree that hydraulic steering is much better than a pair of steering stabilizers.

But for 800.00 a pair, being that they work just like a schock absorber, that is a pretty good deal. They do stabilize the outdrive. They removed chine walk on one of my boats that did about 72. In case of steering failure, they will hold the outdrive straight. In case you hit something, they will hold the outdrive onto the rear of the boat.

If they are so worthless, then I guess just about every full size truck in America, should remove their front end steering stabilizer.

I think you can get a single stabilizer for about 400.00.

Chris

Quick Reply: Cable Steering Stabilizer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.