Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How much tabs do you use ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/204896-how-much-tabs-do-you-use.html)

Jesse James 03-16-2009 11:04 PM

I use a 3rd party site like photo bucket, upload the image then copy and paste the {img} url from that site into the body of my reply here......if you upload a picture to photobucket I believe the img address is the 3rd one listed then it is just a copy and paste

Wildman_grafix 03-17-2009 04:29 AM

When would you use the tabs to bring the bow down rather then trim the drives?

Or on step hulls do you want to keep drives neutral and the use tabs?

Dave M 03-17-2009 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 2822846)
When would you use the tabs to bring the bow down rather then trim the drives?

Or on step hulls do you want to keep drives neutral and the use tabs?

I use a combo of the two. Generally, in rough water I run with the drive and tabs neutral.

brian18330 03-17-2009 08:09 AM

This is a good thread...I've been thinking on how to ask these questions for 2 weeks and not sound like a wuss,lol. Everytime Ive been in the ocean i cant go fast cuz as soon as the boat gets on plane it out of the water and i feel like when I crest the wave i have to back off the throttle,come down and punch it up the next one and so on. Then i see guys that just fly around the ocean like its a lake!!!! What are the tricks if any? I had a 24' outlaw then a 31ss sonic, now I have a 33 outlaw and I really want to do 60 past the beach! thanks

rtaylor 03-17-2009 09:04 AM

I think that there is a third element which goes hand in hand with the trim of the drive and tabs: the throttle. I have a 27' Activator with outboards and bracket. In 4's a week ago I had my tabs down below neutral and had the outboards below neutral also. The boat ran fairly level. Then I had my buddy/mechanic/ex-racer take the throttles. He put the tabs in neutral and dropped the outboards. The boat kept the same attitude, but it flew on top of the waves and picied up speed. This was really enlightening. His throttle skills made the difference.

TexomaPowerboater 03-17-2009 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by brian18330 (Post 2822943)
This is a good thread...I've been thinking on how to ask these questions for 2 weeks and not sound like a wuss,lol. Everytime Ive been in the ocean i cant go fast cuz as soon as the boat gets on plane it out of the water and i feel like when I crest the wave i have to back off the throttle,come down and punch it up the next one and so on. Then i see guys that just fly around the ocean like its a lake!!!! What are the tricks if any? I had a 24' outlaw then a 31ss sonic, now I have a 33 outlaw and I really want to do 60 past the beach! thanks

Back down the throttles just before you crest the wave, not after.

Or just buy an apache and plow through that chit:evilb:

BraceYourself 03-17-2009 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Neutral or a touch of positive trim.