Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking at a Baja 272 got a few questions....???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/204931-looking-baja-272-got-few-questions.html)

SmurfOnABoat 03-15-2009 07:20 PM

Looking at a Baja 272 got a few questions....????

Found a Baja 272 locally for a pretty decent price, and its a very clean boat, had a survey done and it came back with no problems.

Had some questions about the boat. Owner says it has been out of the water since 2002, the boat is a 94 and he is the second owner purchasing it in 1996.

What are things to look for in the drive? Bellows, Gimbal bearings, water pump?? The drive is a Bravo one, behind a Mercruiser 454. The boat has been in inside heated storage since winter of 02.

Thanks in advance!

mike tkach 03-15-2009 07:42 PM

:ernaehrung004:i don,t know what engine the boat has,or how many hours are on it,but at the least,you will need to drain the fuel,replace the battery,replace water pump impeller,change oil&filer,and drive lube.unless the deal is really good,insist on a water test before bying the boat.good luck.

SmurfOnABoat 03-15-2009 07:50 PM

2 Brand new batteries, 281 hours.

Yes we already agreed to a pre-purchase water test run.

Sunshadow 03-15-2009 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfOnAGixxer (Post 2821810)
Found a Baja 272 locally for a pretty decent price, and its a very clean boat, had a survey done and it came back with no problems.

Had some questions about the boat. Owner says it has been out of the water since 2002, the boat is a 94 and he is the second owner purchasing it in 1996.

What are things to look for in the drive? Bellows, Gimbal bearings, water pump?? The drive is a Bravo one, behind a Mercruiser 454. The boat has been in inside heated storage since winter of 02.

Thanks in advance!

make sure your surveyor hammered the stringers real well. I've seen more than one of those older bajas with delamination. If it's been kept as dry as you say it's probably in good shape. Bellows bearings and waterpumps are just maintence items no big deal.

myscarab30 03-15-2009 07:57 PM

You should look into this one...Very nice boat and priced right. Wouldnt have to worry about any thing just put it in the water and go.
http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/4s...duct=352&cat=4

I bet he would consider even meeting half way too.
And no its not mine :cool:

SmurfOnABoat 03-15-2009 08:00 PM

Nice boat, but going older. This boat is 3 years newer and still cheaper

Originally Posted by Sunshadow (Post 2821829)
make sure your surveyor hammered the stringers real well. I've seen more than one of those older bajas with delamination. If it's been kept as dry as you say it's probably in good shape. Bellows bearings and waterpumps are just maintence items no big deal.

surveyor is NAMS accredited, he said the stringers were ok.

Sunshadow 03-15-2009 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfOnAGixxer (Post 2821837)
Nice boat, but going older. This boat is 3 years newer and still cheaper

surveyor is NAMS accredited, he said the stringers were ok.

Good luck then. As soon as you own it two footitus will kick in then you'll need another 100 hp then a twin with big power have fun.

SmurfOnABoat 03-15-2009 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sunshadow (Post 2821844)
Good luck then. As soon as you own it two footitus will kick in then you'll need another 100 hp then a twin with big power have fun.

Yes, twin will definitely be my next boat no questions.

But this one has mods starting right away if I end up getting it. At the shop I have a new Stage 3 whipple kit sitting there for a MPI motor.

never enuff 03-16-2009 10:38 AM

Go to the Baja section. There are a bunch of guys that worked at the Baja factory that can probably give you some ideas of what to look for on that specific year Baja.
Jay

SmurfOnABoat 03-16-2009 10:47 AM

Thanks...

Any mods out there, could you move this thread to the baja section.

I would greatly appreciate it!