Notices

Poker run boats

Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLee
Seriously, how can you not be convinced, or are you just kidding around?
you know, all those vee's that run up front at poker runs and races...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
you know, all those vee's that run up front at poker runs and races...
That's why I asked if he's just messing around. I could possibly understand if it was even a close comparison, but the margin is WIDE between the two hulls, in ANY water.

....and what's up with essentially the rogue wave argument always coming up. People act like they regularly go out every weekend in 15-20 foot waves, so they really need something that can safely run 150mph in those conditions.....
Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Insurance?? Transportation??

I for one would really like to see a head to head with say a 42 Fountain PR to say a 42Mti PR with exact same stock power say 700's or 1075's or even 525's. It seems to me everytime a V hull or Cat bragg about passing one another, the power is not even?? I am not convinced that a big cat is faster given same power by todays V hulls, 8 years ago yes, but today ????

BTW we used to sell a certain Cat builder.

WILL
One word bro.................... Hydrodynamics.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLee
That's why I asked if he's just messing around. I could possibly understand if it was even a close comparison, but the margin is WIDE between the two hulls, in ANY water.

....and what's up with essentially the rogue wave argument always coming up. People act like they regularly go out every weekend in 15-20 foot waves, so they really need something that can safely run 150mph in those conditions.....
Well again now your speaking of race boats that have more experienced drivers, weight ratios and god knows what else. I would just like to see PR versions with same power be fairy compared. I think it's a fair request?

I mean help me out, what doe a 40 PR Skater run with 525efi's?? I am not looking for a pissing contest, just some honest answers.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I can only assume anyone that thinks a modern cat can not handle rough water has never been in a cat. Dragging a video out from the 80's showing V hulls picking on those old school cats in the offshore races is no longer true. There are very large differences in cat hulls just as in V hulls. Some cat hulls are scary junk and borderline dangerous at high speed. Go for a ride in a Skater or MTI then tell me you think.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well again now your speaking of race boats that have more experienced drivers, weight ratios and god knows what else. I would just like to see PR versions with same power be fairy compared. I think it's a fair request?

I mean help me out, what doe a 40 PR Skater run with 525efi's?? I am not looking for a pissing contest, just some honest answers.
I don't understand how a you don't think the oss race is a perfect example??? you know what the boats wiegh ( I believe they have a weight requirment but could be wrong) equal power ( no cheating internal or computer reprogramed etc.) and you have two experienced drivers in each ( the cat guy would be considered an expert in a cat and the v driver will be considered an expert in a v). This is as good as it can get. I have been on pokerruns and sometimes you do a little drag race here or there, but my boat could be heavier do to gas, luggage, people etc. or just built that way as the owners request or could be paper thin because wanted to go fast... I believe the race is an equal playing field all the way..
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

V hull for me. . . . i just like the way my big V's ride. Nothing against cats at all because i prefer those to race. I have just always had V's and like the ride. Although i do think a supercat lite would also be a great poker run boat i think if i had to make a final choice i would go with a big V for the lake i run (Erie).
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 03-19-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Who has the pics of that whale looking tri-hull Fountain? That would be my first choice.

Second would be Catmando's Carlson tri-hull.

Those boats are in a performance class of their own!!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you're not trying to start a battle.

I actually wasn't talking about race boats. Apples to apples, REAL pleasure cats are much faster than real pleasure vees, no matter the size. When I say "real", I mean a true cat that does not have the center sponson.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Nobody on purpose would build a pleasure 40 Skater with only 525's. I do not think Peter would even let you do it. You buy high end cats to go fast. A fair comparison is look at race boats with 525's . I believe the race cats are pushing 130 mph with 525's
40 MTI pleasure is 130+ with 700's. 38 Fountian with 700's is about 115.
By the way I have been in 38 Fountains and they are terrific boats.
You need to go for a ride in a modern cat.

Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 03-19-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Poker run boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.