Idea for custom driving lights... >

Idea for custom driving lights...

Notices

Idea for custom driving lights...

Old 03-19-2002, 07:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Idea for custom driving lights...

I guess I could put this on the innovative idea thread; but my idea is really low tech compared to what is mentioned.

I know active driving lights are illegal on a boat, but only if you get caught. I would be careful with my design to turn off or dim my idea lights when approaching another vessel. I want to take a set of wide beam fog lamps, and mount them to sheet of thick plexiglass, that I lash to my front cleats, and possibly stabilize with a suction cup or two. I would power them with a long coiled cord to my cigarette lighter on my dash, or to an auxilliary power port TBI in my cabin, through the bow hatch. These could be contolled on/off wise via a toggle switch; dimmer switch, or just un-plugging them. I do not want to install a remote control spotlight. I do not want to install docking lights, as they are pretty much useless for driving anyhow, and they are not adjustable for the most part. These plexiglass mounted, removeable fog-lights (automotive variety) would be completely adjustable, and removable/stowable so as not to clutter up my bow. I never plan on running at speed with them, but I want a safe way to navigate waters back to a home dock after dark, and not rely on full moon nights. I do not want to install an arch, with lights, and hand held spotlights are useless as they reflect off of the bow and blind you as we all know.

Has anyone done something like this? What do you think of my idea? Any advice? Input appreciated!!!
Old 03-19-2002, 09:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Come on, something please!
Old 03-19-2002, 09:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think one of those portable stick on remote spot lights would do a better job. They are fairly cheap and the ones I have seen seemed to work o.k. It just seems to me that your idea might be kind of cumbersome. I have also seen a removable remote spot light that sticks in an Attwood type bayonet like you use for a stern light. Now if we really want to get slick-a retractable spotlight that goes up and down in the bow would be really trick!
Old 03-19-2002, 10:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thanks Ted.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:00 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why nto go to west marine and get one of those 2 million canlde power search lights for $30 and plug it into your cig lighter and nto haev to f around with tangled wires and potential tickets and soem whacky lookign jerry-rigged contraption on your deck?
Old 03-19-2002, 11:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I can't see crap with a hand-held spotlight being used from the cockpit. I have an almost white bow, and I keep a lot of wax on it; (ask CheckmateF1 and 27 Fountain how many times I have slipped off and busted my ass or something else). I cannot see anything from the reflection of the light on the bow. I know a lot of people have this problem.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:21 PM
Registered

Gotta agree with the opinions so far. If it's dark enough to need this, it's too dark to want to be out on the bow d*cking around with getting it hooked on the cleats, suction-cupped down, running the cord thru the hatch, getting back to the helm and then maybe finding out it's pointed too low...

I like a hand held for this, but all too often the "spot light" is more like a floodlight, and you do get the glare (paint the bow black??). How about rigging a cylinder around the spot to make it more spotlight-like??
Old 03-19-2002, 11:52 PM
Registered

Oh Boy, another one hits the water!
Old 03-19-2002, 11:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, one other thing you might want to look into. I have an Underwater Kinetics dive light-a big pistol grip bad boy that uses 4 D cells. It shines about 50 yards in a pinpoint beam with very little scatter-it is much better than the plug in hand helds for glare. But it needs batteries about every 10 hours.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:38 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

alot of the good dive lights are rechargeable

Quick Reply: Idea for custom driving lights...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.