Notices

Crank Trigger

Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Trigger

Anyone running a Crank trigger setup?

Had a billet MSD distributor in a custom 540. Locked the timing out @34. Digital 6plus box retarding the timing 20 @ start. Every once in a while I would hear the dreaded “grinding” of the starter and flywheel. Not often. Random. Sometimes it would go 2 months without happening. Then last year, broke a starter bolt and crapped the flywheel. Out came the motor.. All was fixed..
Called MSD they said to get a “Cap-A-Dapt” and run a Ford cap and a Crank Trigger. So far all is running well and I have not heard the grinding sound again.

Just curious if others have gone through this. And if you are going through the same situation, the crank trigger and Cap-A-Dapt have worked for me so far

John
Old 03-24-2009, 05:25 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

I have ran that set up without any issues. Maybe 200 hours. Ran out of room where the trigger was located so went back to the dist trigger with the cap adapt etc.. No problems.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Registered

I was wondering about the long term use.. How they would hold up in a marine world.. Not sure if I notice a difference running, but as long as I don't hear the grinding of the starter I feel better.

Anyone else running a Crank Trigger?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Registered

Update

Installed the crank trigger and the new billet distributor.. Along with the MSD Cap-A-Dapt. Works well.
However, the grinding noise from the starter reappeared this weekend..Only happen once, and never again.. (about 20 key turns since).
What could be causing this? This is starter #3. It is an Arco gear reduction starter.. Perhaps the starter itself is wearing down, causing it to no engage? I am out of ideas..

My next move to try a different starter.. if so, anyone using a tilton? MSD makes one.. Also CVR does..
Ideas? Suggestions..
Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli
Update

Installed the crank trigger and the new billet distributor.. Along with the MSD Cap-A-Dapt. Works well.
However, the grinding noise from the starter reappeared this weekend..Only happen once, and never again.. (about 20 key turns since).
What could be causing this? This is starter #3. It is an Arco gear reduction starter.. Perhaps the starter itself is wearing down, causing it to no engage? I am out of ideas..

My next move to try a different starter.. if so, anyone using a tilton? MSD makes one.. Also CVR does..
Ideas? Suggestions..
We use Tilton ,but whats your Ring gear on the flywheel look like ???? may have a bad spot on it
Old 04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered

Had it replaced last year.. in Sep.. and put on 3rd starter then.. Worked good up till this past Sunday.. Still works after the grinding.. but I know it will get worse and worse..
Old 04-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli
Update

Ideas? Suggestions..
Have you checked clearances of the starter gear to flywheel engagement? Sometimes that needs to be adjusted with shims or milling the mating surface. Recommended clearances should come from the starter manufacturer.
Attached Thumbnails Crank Trigger-pic.jpg  
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

To be honest, I did not.. I have called Arco several times and motioned it.. they said it would not have lasted as long as it has if it were a shim issue.. they also said rarely have they had to shim that type of starter on a motor like mine. Their starter will work, sometimes for 3 or 4 months.. then the grinding starts.. and gets worse.. been driving me nuts for years!!! Only issue with this motor left to work out..

Could the ignition key be at fault? Perhaps not “always” giving 12volts to the solenoid?

I am leaning toward an MSD starter.. Called Teague earlier today.. they said that is the starter they use on their motors..
Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have'nt had to shim these starters ,but you make a good point with the power and if the selonoid is'nt kickin the worm drive out enuf ... order a high torque from Jegs or Summit and save yours for a spare ...
Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered

Thanks.. just orders an MSD starter..
I assume a Merlin BB has cross mount and staggered mount holes for a starter? Also looks to be a pain in the a$$ to check clearance while in the boat.. How "exact" does one need to be???

Quick Reply: Crank Trigger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.