Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   starting egine w/ no water (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/205520-starting-egine-w-no-water.html)

brian18330 03-25-2009 07:35 AM

starting egine w/ no water

Can you start up an engine for 30 sec. without water and not break anything?
Thanks

Slinky 03-25-2009 07:42 AM

I dont know about a closed loop system, but i was told with an open loop that if you start up the motor without water you could burn up the impeller.

Sydwayz 03-25-2009 07:43 AM

Not likely. You will damage/fry the impeller in the SWP in as little as 3-5 seconds. If you have a plastic SWP, you will likely melt/damage the pump housing as well.

Closed cooling systems STILL HAVE a SWP and a sea-water side of the cooling system. Thus the same applies to an "open loop" and "closed cooling" system setup as well.

"Closed cooling" usually means only antifreeze touches the internals of your block, depending on the setup/model/plumbing.

Harvey 03-25-2009 07:43 AM

You will hurt the raw water pump impellar. Otherwise the engine will be OK for thirty seconds.

TWIN-SPINS 03-25-2009 07:44 AM

remove the belt,,,it wont hurt the impeller,,you should be find for 30 sec

johnny g 03-25-2009 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS (Post 2828573)
remove the belt,,,it wont hurt the impeller,,you should be find for 30 sec

You have a belt in your outdrive?:eek:

t500hps 03-25-2009 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by johnny g (Post 2828658)
You have a belt in your outdrive?:eek:

You must have Alpha drives.......Bravo pumps are on the motor.

I wouldn't start it, the engine would be OK, impeller and housing won't survive.

Slinky 03-25-2009 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2828571)
Not likely. You will damage/fry the impeller in the SWP in as little as 3-5 seconds. If you have a plastic SWP, you will likely melt/damage the pump housing as well.

Closed cooling systems STILL HAVE a SWP and a sea-water side of the cooling system. Thus the same applies to an "open loop" and "closed cooling" system setup as well.

"Closed cooling" usually means only antifreeze touches the internals of your block, depending on the setup/model/plumbing.

aha...i learn something every day.:cool:

Brad Zastrow 03-25-2009 10:00 AM

30 seconds is far too long. Engine can run for a few minutes without water. Impellar only a matter of seconds. If you have a bravo style sea pump you can pull the belt on the pump. At that point it seems far easier to just hook the boat to a hose. If you have allready run the engine then go ahead and change the impellar to be safe. Closed loop or open, fresh water still is fed to the sea pump.

GLH 03-25-2009 10:05 AM

Why?