lesson on twin stepp take off >

lesson on twin stepp take off

Notices

lesson on twin stepp take off

Old 03-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PQCRAZY
this happens alot to first timers with step boats. take some classes and i am sure you will be fine.
thanks for the reply
Old 03-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drives in; tabs down; ease into the throttle 500 rpms at a time until it starts to slip, pull back a bit until it bites, then increase throttle slowly while trmming the drives out; tabs up -drives out; tabs up...take your time.

Once you get the feel it will become second nature. It is not a drag boat and is a prefectly normal occurence.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad i found this thread. I just bought a 388 slingshot and went up to test the boat with Joe and john from hustler. I noticed that when the boat came up on plane. The props sliped and jo would back out and then get back on the sticks and adjust drives and tabs. Jo then explained about how to plane the boat out. I've only run V bottom so this is new to me i thought i needed different props now i feel better that it just something i have to learn
Old 03-27-2009, 06:52 PM

This may sound like a stubd queston but its not. first what is the make of the boat? Does the boat have a pad as well as steps? If your boat does have a pad do you have blow out vents under the pad with shut off valves in the engine compartment? Most step bottom boats that don't get on plane quick need to get the air that is trapped under the pad out. Donzi 35ZRs have blow out vents and I believe Fountain does the same. When you take off try neutral positon on your tabs that would be around 3-4 depending on your boat, make sure your drives are tucked all the way in and ease your throttles foward, If you feel the slip back off very slight on your throttles until you feel the grab and then push foward. Bravo 1 props are your best choice with 496s, Going 5 or 6 blade will not help with the slip and will destroy your X drive, 496s don't run XR drives. I have 496s in my 33 ZX I added blow off vents in my boat and have no problem getting on plane. The previous owner put bigger K-Planes on the boat and that did not help it actually made the boat worst on take off! If you bury the tabs all the way down on take off, you will actually lift the stern of the boat adding more air to the underneath.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Hi Frank !!!!

Last edited by Superbabi; 03-27-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Superbabi
Hi Frank !!!!
Hey Gary
Old 03-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by omerta one
Drives in; tabs down; ease into the throttle 500 rpms at a time until it starts to slip, pull back a bit until it bites, then increase throttle slowly while trmming the drives out; tabs up -drives out; tabs up...take your time.

Once you get the feel it will become second nature. It is not a drag boat and is a prefectly normal occurence.

this is basically how I do it..it differs from time to time..usually one side will break loose first then I push the other throttle slightly forward to compensate and when both equall and on plane start to bring the tabs up..Boat goes up pretty quick for the beast that she is..
Old 03-28-2009, 05:29 AM
Registered

this may be just another stubd queston and may not mean much hear with theas boats but has any dealer R&R the drives lately ? at the rear trim ram pin with the black caps covering the nut's there is a white plastic spacer in between the nut hard wear that could be installed wrong and it will change the drive trim angel a bit not leting the drive tuck in as far.they do this becouse there is a differents between bravo 1 & 3.and some guys will change that around by not knowing where to put it.on bravo 1 the spacers need to be installed with the grove part pointing a way from the bow of the boat or a way from the boat in general. well i'm shur it's fine but if not it a easy thing to look at any ways.it dose sound like the x is high but that is where the top speeds come in.you would think the manufacturer,s would by now say to you oweners to install lower unit drive spacers by now to help stop the blow out. merc dose sell them spacers also.just an idea is all this is.good luck and have fun this year boating.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
This may sound like a stubd queston but its not. first what is the make of the boat? Does the boat have a pad as well as steps? If your boat does have a pad do you have blow out vents under the pad with shut off valves in the engine compartment? Most step bottom boats that don't get on plane quick need to get the air that is trapped under the pad out. Donzi 35ZRs have blow out vents and I believe Fountain does the same. When you take off try neutral positon on your tabs that would be around 3-4 depending on your boat, make sure your drives are tucked all the way in and ease your throttles foward, If you feel the slip back off very slight on your throttles until you feel the grab and then push foward. Bravo 1 props are your best choice with 496s, Going 5 or 6 blade will not help with the slip and will destroy your X drive, 496s don't run XR drives. I have 496s in my 33 ZX I added blow off vents in my boat and have no problem getting on plane. The previous owner put bigger K-Planes on the boat and that did not help it actually made the boat worst on take off! If you bury the tabs all the way down on take off, you will actually lift the stern of the boat adding more air to the underneath.
sorry for the stupid question, but what are blow off vents?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boat teck
this may be just another stubd queston and may not mean much hear with theas boats but has any dealer R&R the drives lately ? at the rear trim ram pin with the black caps covering the nut's there is a white plastic spacer in between the nut hard wear that could be installed wrong and it will change the drive trim angel a bit not leting the drive tuck in as far.they do this becouse there is a differents between bravo 1 & 3.and some guys will change that around by not knowing where to put it.on bravo 1 the spacers need to be installed with the grove part pointing a way from the bow of the boat or a way from the boat in general. well i'm shur it's fine but if not it a easy thing to look at any ways.it dose sound like the x is high but that is where the top speeds come in.you would think the manufacturer,s would by now say to you oweners to install lower unit drive spacers by now to help stop the blow out. merc dose sell them spacers also.just an idea is all this is.good luck and have fun this year boating.
This is a good point and may be worth looking into. I completely forgot I changed mine a couple years ago. The spacers were positioned from the factory to prevent the drives from tucking under as far as possible. The reason is if the drives are tucked 'too' far at speed in a hard turn, it is more likely to spin-out/roll a twin stepped hull due to the added stern lift. I never have my drives tucked all the way in when turning (rule #1 of driving a stepped hull). I changed the spacers to allow the drives to tuck in further and it helped with planing. Although, the props do still slip which is the nature of a stepped hull and a higher x-dimension.
Attached Thumbnails lesson on twin stepp take off-pic.jpg  

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 03-28-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: lesson on twin stepp take off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.