Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Will a block freeze with high of 50 low of 25? >

Will a block freeze with high of 50 low of 25?

Notices

Will a block freeze with high of 50 low of 25?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Will a block freeze with high of 50 low of 25?

Long story short-- I purchased a boat in AZ and will be bringing it home to NE. Currently the Weather forecast is predicting highs around 45-50 Saturday and a Low of 25. I don’t think it would freeze but looking for advice from people smarter than myself.

When I say an engine block this would include oil coolers etc.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

l think it depends on the amount of time it is in 25 degree temp.if the low was 25,it wasen,t 25 for long,you should be ok.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the rule is 24 degrees for 24 hours, but don't quote me on that
Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

And you trust the weather forecasters?

Pick up 5 gallons of -50 degree AF on your way out of town. It ought to be cheap and will only take you 10 minutes to run through the engine. Even if you only 50% dilute the water in the block with the -50* AF, you are good for far colder temps that what you expect.

10 minutes of time well spent is worth days of worrying.

---

If you are bent on not adding antifreeze, and you are looking for a few nights of warmth, put one or two 100W droplights suspended in the bilge overnight.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't forget about the wind chill even if it is 25 what is it if your draggin it down the highway at 70
Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will be fine....don't worry about it...
Old 03-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

Pick up 5 gallons of -50 degree AF on your way out of town. It ought to be cheap and will only take you 10 minutes to run through the engine. Even if you only 50% dilute the water in the block with the -50* AF, you are good for far colder temps that what you expect.

---

If you are bent on not adding antifreeze, and you are looking for a few nights of warmth, put one or two 100W droplights suspended in the bilge overnight.
I second this! If you are talking hauling, make sure if it has any water systems on board that they are tended to as well. The water lines for most boats are pretty cheap and the fittings are cheaper plastic. This only takes a few moments to get a bit of winterization to this system as well. I have done the lightbulb/ceramic heater treatment many times just to be safe as well(for when it is on the trailer stationary).
Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Long story short-- I purchased a boat in AZ and will be bringing it home to NE. Currently the Weather forecast is predicting highs around 45-50 Saturday and a Low of 25. I don’t think it would freeze but looking for advice from people smarter than myself.

When I say an engine block this would include oil coolers etc.
NO
Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

---

A third here! Some anti-freeze, a 5 gal pail, length of hose and some muffs. Two guys and 10 minutes, have the guy you're buying from help. Starting life with your new boat and a cracked anything is not worth it. My boat has been sitting in a heated building all winter and is fully winterized. Bad storm, loss of power = no heat = broke chit = big $ fix.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 03-31-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Honestly I would not risk it. I would drain and or run anitfreez thru it. I would not trust a weather report that much and if it is in the shade or undercover it would be a lot colder then the forecast temps.

Here in Utah people are always cracking things like blocks and drives and it just isn't worth it. You have probably spent more time in the last 2 days reading threads on OSO then it would take to run some anit freeze thru make sure you don't break something.

MP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.