Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Powerboat Magazine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/206230-powerboat-magazine.html)

SmokeEm 04-05-2009 10:30 AM

Powerboat Magazine

What is going on with Powerboat Magazine? I know they have always combined the October/November issue but I got the December and January issues nothing for February and a combined March/April issue. I've called the subscription department several times and they assured me that everything was fine but since several other performance boat magazines have gone away I'm thinking Powerboat may face the same fate. Anyone have any information or thoughts?

thisistank 04-05-2009 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeEm (Post 2836632)
What is going on with Powerboat Magazine? I know they have always combined the October/November issue but I got the December and January issues nothing for February and a combined March/April issue. I've called the subscription department several times and they assured me that everything was fine but since several other performance boat magazines have gone away I'm thinking Powerboat may face the same fate. Anyone have any information or thoughts?

The poor economy has hit the boating industry hard and has trickled down and taken its tole on the publishing market as well. Many magazines have failed to maintain through these times. PBM chose to cut back it's issues to not compromise quality.

To continue it's outstanding articles, editorials, photo's and everything else you've come to expect from Powerboat mag, PBM has cut it's issues back to 8 a year during these trying economic times. However, you will see 9 issues for the '09 season. I'm sure once the economy recovers and things start rolling again, you'll see PBM go back to it's standard 11 issue format.

If you have any problems with your subscription or any questions you can always contact those "manning the boat" at PBM through their website http://www.powerboatmag.com/
If you still have issues, let me know and I can hopefully get them resolved for you.

Speaking of their website, look for it to be completely re-done, easier to navigate with added features and a fresh look!!

Padraig 04-05-2009 02:54 PM

I re-subscribed back a few years ago just after they were sold to a new publisher. Thought maybe they would improve.... wrong. Same old tired crap and no in-depth articles, mediocre writing. It got so the only excellence in the whole mag was Tom Newby's photography.

After looking at the last issue, I see no reason to renew. Still it would have been the nice if they had notified subscribers that they were cutting back. Somehow I don't think Bob Nordskog <sp> would have done it in secret.

TeamShogren.com 04-05-2009 03:25 PM

Powerboat Is Fine

Powerboat is fine, i'm sure suffering from the economy in some form like most if not all out there, no one is immune. I believe they have cut back three issues for the remainder of the year due to lack of advertising.

We need to support them & Performance Boat Magazine, the only two that will most likely be around long term.

They might have somone on OSO that can give exact details but I feel confindent they are in the survivor category and our indusrty needs great magazines like this.

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com

Fountain & Baja By Fountain

847-336-9037

38Lightning 04-05-2009 05:17 PM

Give them a break! Lets just be happy they are still here. We have two few choices left lets send the message that we are standing with you and when things pick up will be here until then hang in there we enjoy your mag. and look forward to future issues.

Singleton 04-05-2009 05:21 PM

So, I re-subscribed for 11 issues a year, and now I am told it is down to 8 or 9. Wonder if I get any money back, not likely, but I think I am done re-upping mag subs, since most are going to go under IMO.

GO4BROKE 04-05-2009 06:10 PM

Seems to be no shortage of adds in the last couple issues.

38Lightning 04-05-2009 06:39 PM

if we are gonna bust their balz then what other mag are we gonna subscribe too? I enjoy their mag for what ever it cost, $19.00-$30.00 yr. what other options do we honestly have as powerboaters? extreme boat what else?