Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Some residents and businesses trying to ban personal watergraft on Lake George, NY >

Some residents and businesses trying to ban personal watergraft on Lake George, NY

Notices

Some residents and businesses trying to ban personal watergraft on Lake George, NY

Old 03-20-2002, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Some residents and businesses trying to ban personal watergraft on Lake George, NY

We are now going to have to fight an attempted ban on personal watercraft on my home lake.I agree that many people do not use their watercraft responsibly but a ban is wrong and takes away the freedoms of those who do use
their machines in a responsible fashion. The law enforcement officials should be requested to enforce the laws already ont ehbooks more stringently rather than elect an outright ban. Currently you must be 500 feet from shore to operate on plane. This is dangerous in and of itself as the maneuverability of these craft at idle is minimal. I argue that you should be allowed as any other boat to operate within the same parameters. We need to find a happy medium where both can co-exist. If anyone has had to fight this same battle and has been successful in doing such any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane
Old 03-20-2002, 08:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

This is not good. We're next after the PWC. I'm sure that if this goes through they will turn their attention to those "damn loud, fast Cigarette boats." What can I do to help oppose this?
Old 03-20-2002, 08:08 AM
Registered

Morning Larry,

Did you get my PM? Nice chatting with you the other night. Thanks for offering to help. I think probably at this time we need to start with letter writing or e-mail campaign. I am just not sure to whom yet. When I know more I will let you know. Thanks again and I appreciate it.

P.S. Are you and Ronnie gonna come up and spend a weekend with us this summer? We would sure like to have you.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:08 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

BTW Shane your PM box is full.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:10 AM
Registered

I read that, but when I went in there were no messages? Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2002, 08:15 AM
Registered

Okay, I figured it out. PM box is empty!
Old 03-20-2002, 08:22 AM
SunseekerNY

Dear Shane:

It has been my experience that it is a hell of a lot easier to fight proposed legislation based on "potential reckless behavior" (which I call discrimination) as opposed to enviromental "damage."

What lake are you talking about, and how far along is the bill?

I I were you, I would start by contacting all the marine industries in the area that deal with PWC. It is very possible they have no idea this is going on. Then I would try to get the support of the local law enforcement officials and Coast Guard. Having a record of accidents and fatalities is also key - especially if it is in your favor.

Then take it a step further. Contact all the marine industries in the area that deal with outboard engines (the 2-cycle thing) and tell them "YOU'RE NEXT."

Make as much noise as possible. Get on the local news and talk about the effect on the economy and people's moral due to the tenor of the times - after all, this is a form of relaxation and enjoyment.

Hell, you could even bring in a lawyer who could fight it based on Ammendment Number Nine which (I'll spare the quote) guarantees us the rights to "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Good luck.

Jennifer

Old 03-20-2002, 08:23 AM
blackjack

Default lake george

Hey Shane do you know Dave White I remolded his house on the lake

Old 03-20-2002, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shane,

Fight it all the way, it would be a good idea to make sure the PWC dealers get the manf aware of this. I soo strongly agree their are already laws inplace to take care of the problems, we don't need anymore laws.

WILL
Old 03-20-2002, 08:26 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Thumbs down

Hate to jump and take the other side, and to set the record straight, a Jet Ski was my first "boat". However, the industry and the operators (not all) have brought this upon themselves. Self-regulation and self-control for that matter is simply not going to happen. Hey, I went through the same thing with riding motorcross and quads, but not as bad as this regulation will be. I wish I can say the few ruin it for the many, but IMHO, the many ruin it for the few that actually have their wits about them.

I live right across from a launch ramp, and although idiocy exists in all floating manners, the worst offenders (and most numerous) are the PWCs. After witnessing what I see on a daily basis and also seeing a couple boats sunk and the PWC riders killed - something has to be done. I almost killed two people last summer after the rider crossed my path (I was doing about 50 at the time) not seeing me and then did a quick "180". Viva hydraulic steering. I used to be an advocate of PWCs, then tolerant, now I would not miss them at all. My fault or not, I don't want live out my life knowing I killed someone.

When surfing, we had them lauching on the beach, and I admit it was cool to watch them jump waves. That thrill ended quickly when they started buzzing the lineup and smoking us out with the fumes. Well that ended quickly, my younger buds in the water kicked the s@#% out of a few, then the Parks Dept. banned beach PWC launching. Again, self-inflicted regulation.

I'm not trying to piss off anybody, but any PWC owner that shows his palms to the sky and says "why me" simply misses the reality of his fellow operators and what his own sport has done to itself. Most of the problem are the failure of education, age, and the easy accessability. "It's just like a bike, right?) - until they find out no brakes. I saw this no less than 5 times last year when they plugged the dock at the ramp.

Hey I'm against drunk boating fishing idiots in channels too and the need for some form of boating license, but that's another subject.

Quick Reply: Some residents and businesses trying to ban personal watergraft on Lake George, NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.