Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has the industry ever been hit this hard? >

Has the industry ever been hit this hard?

Notices

Has the industry ever been hit this hard?

Old 04-11-2009, 09:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Lot of good info, I think one of the other keys is that the banks being "loose" in the past have left more boats on the market than ever before. everyone is waiting for bottom. Being in a business tied to the auto industry I have seen business off by about 50% but I am still making it. I think most consumers are saving, but like GL, i will go out and enjoy it. It will come around, it always does...just takes time.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,228 Posts

GLH,

With all due respect, I'm reasonably sure the recession were currently in is not a media invention. As for the "gloom and doom," I completely understand where you're coming from, but right now the news simply isn't good. Just read this thread.

Someone mentioned the "looseness" of the banks getting us into this mess in the first place. Without question, the collapse of the sub-prime loan market (and that was as loose as it gets) played a major role in our current economic state.

I'm not gloom and doom. I know we'll come out of this. But it's going to take a lot of work and some time.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:26 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

All I mean is with those pinheads saying the sky is falling enough to blow our eardrums out, people don't spend for fear of whatever... and that messes up business everywhere. Unless you have a funeral parlor or five!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

TOASTY...Thats a cool little boat.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,228 Posts

GLH,

I with you there, my friend. The media has fueled the "fear to spend" fire, and that's played a big part in getting us where we are.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
i will go out and enjoy it.
Amen Brutha!
Attached Thumbnails Has the industry ever been hit this hard?-lake-champlain-174.jpg  
Old 04-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOASTY
we are in a depression
i make an 18 commerical fishing boat for less then 20 rigged. boat is well built and still they are a hard sell. everyone is spending less. Lots of fiberglass repair work. people want to have fun and they are digging out the old to do it. parts and repair business will do well new sales not so much even on the high end fast pieces

C
www.battlewagon18.com
I like it! We ran around in something similar all last winter in Ft Myers. Easy to take care of.....get back to the dock, hit it with a garden hose and walk away!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can blame this economy on the media...

My personal portfolio is down about 40% this past year
Unemployment is at record levels
National Liquidators is repossessing 4 to 5 boats per day in S. Florida

Things will eventually improve, but I do believe there will be a fundamental change in the economy going forward. The days of easy credit, sky high credit card limits, and over inflated home equity loans are gone......as it should be. There will be less discretionary spending in the future. This will have a permanent impact on the boating industry for years to come.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

I posted this a few days ago in another thread, but I think it speaks volumes here as well... This is my personal opinion, but it seems to be shared by many more:

Guess I am seeing the opportunity... If all the people are going under, it is time to take the best people and aspects of each business, bring them together and build the "best of the best". It doesn't matter what business it is, opportunities are everywhere...

Sometimes a "cleansing" makes everything that much stronger when it rebounds.

As soon as people start looking at the positives, see the opportunities, take the risk of moving forward and stop listening to all the "poor me" BS that is all around them, we will start to rebound and never look back...

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!

Tony Robbins, try and keep up with my attitude!

Last edited by bajaholic; 04-11-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the point about loose banks, but I think they have gone the other way. I'm in the proceses of a home refi. Same company, just went to a 10 year, 130k on a 600K house, 800 score. I thought that would be a no brainer, even if they turn me down they still hold the paper. Now they want other paperwork and 95% of my income is on a W2 or a 1099. WTF I can't imagine what a boat or R/V would be like. Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.