Notices

Gulf of Mexico beaches

Old 09-06-2020, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Gulf of Mexico beaches

How much scratching / damage occurs to the finish of your bow if you gently nose your V bottom boat's bow onto a beach or sandbar along the Gulf of Mexico Northwest Florida Shoreline?
Old 09-06-2020, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
How much scratching / damage occurs to the finish of your bow if you gently nose your V bottom boat's bow onto a beach or sandbar along the Gulf of Mexico Northwest Florida Shoreline?
Does not seem to hurt boat finish much at all.
we do it all the time in Orange Beach AL and in Destin FL
Old 09-06-2020, 03:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LIQUID THUNDER
Does not seem to hurt boat finish much at all.
we do it all the time in Orange Beach AL and in Destin FL
Thanks, we'll have to raft up (or sandbar)...I'm on Perdido Key, 3 miles west of Florabama on north side (facing Ono Island).

Last edited by F14A water jet; 09-06-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

It does little or no structural damage, but cosmetic damage is another thing all together. I never pull mine up on a beach for that reason.
The following users liked this post:
Tractionless (09-13-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

It's a form of wet sanding, just depends on the sand grit. Ed
Old 09-07-2020, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anchorage

I also boat from Pensacola to Panama City Beach and here are two tidbits. Regardless of whether you beach up or anchor out, keep up with tides. Beach when it’s high and you could have a problem hours later. Also, I rarely beach because most shorelines we frequent are not steep enough to beach without burying the outdrive. My boat draws too much water to beach it, usually, so I anchor shallow enough for my boarding ladder.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26 Outlaw Bad Influence
I also boat from Pensacola to Panama City Beach and here are two tidbits. Regardless of whether you beach up or anchor out, keep up with tides. Beach when it’s high and you could have a problem hours later. Also, I rarely beach because most shorelines we frequent are not steep enough to beach without burying the outdrive. My boat draws too much water to beach it, usually, so I anchor shallow enough for my boarding ladder.
this is where I think I'm at with a 32-foot I/O boat. I am hoping to get down there more and repay all the support from this forum with some dock parties on Perdido Key.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Two anchors, whether nose-in or backed-in. Never on the beach itself.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poker Face Xtreme:
26 Outlaw Bad Influence (09-08-2020), Tractionless (09-13-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anchors

Another tidbit. When I purchased my boat, it had solely been a lake and river boat. After reviewing its equipment, I realized the anchors were inadequate for that size boat. The present anchor line did not even have a chain rode. Be sure to check and see what size anchors you need for your boat, and don’t dismiss the need for the chain rodes and adequate line. Too small, and an inadequate length of chain, and you could be in for a rude awaking when one the notorious gulf thunderstorms drags you off your anchorage.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26 Outlaw Bad Influence
Another tidbit. When I purchased my boat, it had solely been a lake and river boat. After reviewing its equipment, I realized the anchors were inadequate for that size boat. The present anchor line did not even have a chain rode. Be sure to check and see what size anchors you need for your boat, and don’t dismiss the need for the chain rodes and adequate line. Too small, and an inadequate length of chain, and you could be in for a rude awaking when one the notorious gulf thunderstorms drags you off your anchorage.
I too updated my anchors and anchor chain...from lake to Gulf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.