Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Very simple Prop Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20679-very-simple-prop-question.html)

Eric1969 03-22-2002 09:47 AM

Very simple Prop Question

I currently have the standard prop that came with my 2000 Four Winns. It is a 23 pitch with a 14 1/2 diameter, 3 blade.

I want to switch to a stainless steel prop. My question is since I like how the current prop works, do I keep the same dimensions and pitch when I switch to stainless steel?

What kind of differences will it make, in general, in performance?

Thanks for the help!

Eric

CigDaze 03-22-2002 09:50 AM

A 22" 4-blade should do the trick. :cool:

Eric1969 03-22-2002 09:53 AM

Nick,

Won't changing the pitch and adding a 4th blade decrease my top end? It seems it will also increase my hole shot.

Any reason not stay with the 23, and 3 blade?

Not trying to debate your answer, just want the best prop for my little boat.

skatermike24 03-22-2002 09:54 AM

Aluminum props will flex to a point , Stainless won't

audacity 03-22-2002 09:55 AM

boats too small for a 4 blade and with yaw the boat too hard in rougher conditions...call a prop expert like joel at hill....i'm just a retard when it comes to boats!!LOL

skatermike24 03-22-2002 10:03 AM

Eric, props are a funny, kinda like woman,if you can find someone to try different wheels thats the best way to pick a prop, I would think a 3 blade would give you top end over a 4 blade, I've only seen 4 blades work on twin engine set ups, good luck.:cool:

Eric1969 03-22-2002 10:06 AM

I thought the response I would get would be something like, yes keep same pitch, just change to SS.

Crap, now I have to try different props. I will call around for some suggestions, I guess.

Just when you thought you would get a simple answer!!!

skatermike24 03-22-2002 10:19 AM

A little story about props, I run with a buddy of mine that has the same boat, motors gear, both boats weigh the same, we both use different pitches to obtain the same speed! Go figure!!!!:cool:

Nothing is simple when it comes to a boat, I told you their just like woman:D

panteraman28 03-22-2002 10:25 AM

Try a 22 pitch turbo 3 blade or a 23 pitch turbo 4 blade. Turbo is a progressive picth prop and works very well. A 4 blade will give you better hadling, and if you can spin the same rpm you shouldnt lose any top end

CigDaze 03-22-2002 10:26 AM

Eric,
Agreed, Top end usually suffers slightly but going 4-blade, will undoubtedly better your holeshot, make for much better mid-range cruiseing(lower rpm, less wear and tear, better fuel usage) and better acceleration. 4's usually yield the best "all-around" performance. If WOT max top-end is your goal than stay with 3 blades. Typical rule of thumb when going from 3 to 4 blades is to drop down one inch in pitch. The same holds true from aluminum to stainless(down one inch) due to the less flex--Your aluminum will actually flex and flatten out slightly giving you less effective pitch. Hope this help. :cool: :cool: