Notices

Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos

Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeYouThere
What kind, and how big a boat would you need to be able to just drive everyday, and not care about the weather? Or could you do it in Bob's boat, at the expense of a rough, slow ride? Or would you get swamped and drown?
Worked for them....

Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeYouThere
What kind, and how big a boat would you need to be able to just drive everyday, and not care about the weather? Or could you do it in Bob's boat, at the expense of a rough, slow ride? Or would you get swamped and drown?
While 50 + ft may seem like a lot of boat there have been many times I have been out and felt it was still not big enough. Most of my boating is on the Gulf of Mexico ( mostly coastal ) and while it can get nasty at times, there are probably less than 30 days a year out of 365 that I could not or would not go out. On the Atlantic side, the water is a lot bigger more of the time so that's where a nice Magnum, Pershing or Baia would be great.
Bob
Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Georgetown, BA to T & C

Flying back to Georgetown today along with son in law Lee Kram and his buddy Jason Dutton. We are looking forward to getting back on the water tomorrow morning and if all goes well should make T & C by mid to late afternoon.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
On the Atlantic side, the water is a lot bigger more of the time so that's where a nice Magnum, Pershing or Baia would be great.
Bob
or a 80' Nor-Tech
Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
or a 80' Nor-Tech
OOpps! How could I forget that. Trond and Terry remind me from time to time.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default That blows !

We are now in Georgetown but tomorrow looks like a no, go. On my way to the airport I received the latest update from Weather Routers and they are saying Saturday. That fit with some other info I had gathered late last night. When we flew in today we could see the frenzy out there and huge waves crashing on the beach. We will poke around here tomorrow and will likely take a shot at it Friday if it is showing signs of settling down. The locals say it has been blowing here for 3 weeks with little relief. Boo, hoo. I was all pumped and ready to go but rule number 1 is to stay safe so we will live to do it again someday.

Bob
Old 04-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smart man !
Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Turning a lousy day into a great one ! :)

I'm looking at the Bahamas weather on my laptop over breakfast this morning and am really frustrated with this windy weather. There are whole host of options before me and I even considered pulling the plug on this thing and heading back to FL. I am not a quitter of coarse and I soon settle down and decide we should get started with our day doing a bit of local boating and make the best of it. We did poke our nose out a mile offshore to see just how bad it was out there and after eating some 8 ftrs came back in to the protected waters. The decision not to go to T & C today was the right one. It was truly nasty water.
So we find this gorgeous little bay with deserted sand beach on the leeward side of an island and drop anchor. We snorkelled some, swam to the beach, got the DUX boat out and just had fun. We then went over to Chat N Chill for a late lunch in the DUX boat and decided life at Great Exuma is not so bad after-all.
We also moved from the Beach Inn into a 3 bedroom villa at February Point overlooking the bay and marina where PREDATOR is safely put away.
One of the girls that works at February Point is anxious for a ride on Team PREDATOR and has offered to be our guide tomorrow and take us to a great local dive spot. ( You will just have to wait for those pics. LOL )
If there is some let up in the winds by Saturday we will then make our assault on Turks and Caicos . Until then, we will just tough it out here on Great Exuma.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

looking forward to read more!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
I'm looking at the Bahamas weather on my laptop over breakfast this morning and am really frustrated with this windy weather. There are whole host of options before me and I even considered pulling the plug on this thing and heading back to FL. I am not a quitter of coarse and I soon settle down and decide we should get started with our day doing a bit of local boating and make the best of it. We did poke our nose out a mile offshore to see just how bad it was out there and after eating some 8 ftrs came back in to the protected waters. The decision not to go to T & C today was the right one. It was truly nasty water.
So we find this gorgeous little bay with deserted sand beach on the leeward side of an island and drop anchor. We snorkelled some, swam to the beach, got the DUX boat out and just had fun. We then went over to Chat N Chill for a late lunch in the DUX boat and decided life at Great Exuma is not so bad after-all.
We also moved from the Beach Inn into a 3 bedroom villa at February Point overlooking the bay and marina where PREDATOR is safely put away.
One of the girls that works at February Point is anxious for a ride on Team PREDATOR and has offered to be our guide tomorrow and take us to a great local dive spot. ( You will just have to wait for those pics. LOL )
If there is some let up in the winds by Saturday we will then make our assault on Turks and Caicos . Until then, we will just tough it out here on Great Exuma.
Good Luck Bob,

I got a call from the keys today, where I am supposed to be this weekend, its blowing over here too, may just stay near home. Be Safe.

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.