Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Trailer Issue............. >

Trailer Issue.............

Notices

Trailer Issue.............

Old 03-22-2002, 12:54 PM
TRISUM

Default Trailer Issue.............

I need to know, for a triple axle aluminum trailer rated at 10,500lbs, how many axles should have brakes (10" drum) on them, assuming towing 10,000lbs gross? Thanks in advance for any info. Trisum

Old 03-22-2002, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a towmaster aluminum trailer, triple axle, it has surge brake system, and disk brakes, on all 6 wheels, and the whole rig stops better towing than it does when I have just the truck and no trailer. Normally I see brakes on the front and rear axle's and thats fine. The center axle having brakes is not necessary, but what the hell, that's how mine came so....

Are you having a trailer made, or re-doing a trailer?? You'll get better info from us if you are more specific as to what you are trying to do.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 03-22-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:43 PM
Registered

I would recommend using two axles. some will say you can get away with one set. really helps with two axles. Call Jay at south Florida Trailers, He will give you honest answers. (954)966-0580. If Jays not available talk to gail she is very knoledgable. Good Luck , Mark B.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Registered

Default You should also call your state's dept. of motorvehicles...

There may be a law requiring X amount of brakes for X amount of axles...
Old 03-22-2002, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about your state laws but each state requires so many brakes per so much weight . For example(in simple terms ) NJ is if a load weighs 40% or more of the tow vehicles rated gvw then it must have brakes on all axels . I am in the trailer buisness . (No ,Not boat trailers ,but everything else !) I would check state laws . Just because you boought it with 1 or no breaks does not mean you can legaly tow it . THats why they price trailers with out brakes or less brakes .iT LOOKS better for adversizing .then they know you have to have them and will end up paying more in the end to get them . Any reputable dealer will have brakes included .

I personaly would not run with less then 2 axels with brakes . If you have 3 axles I would do three . YOu could also have legal issues in other states if you are involved in an accident . If you only use 2 ,it is much better to have them on the front 2 axels with spring suspension . Front and rear axel brakes only will cause alot of spring wrap, possibly making it unstable . Torsion axels doesn't matter much . Good luck with it . JOE
Old 03-22-2002, 02:43 PM
TRISUM

Thank you all very much, as I thought I am underbraked. Time to talk to the manufacturer. Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Dave

Old 03-22-2002, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend a couple dollars more and put the disc brakes on if it will go in salt water . Much less mantenance.