Notices

28 scarab excel???????

Old 04-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 28 scarab excel???????

those 28 scarab ecels are pretty damn good looking are they any good???? what kind of power do they need to be a 70 mile an hour boat??? just wondering chris
Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

had one, sharp, cabin for storage only. I think it had a merc365 and would go 59.8mph, never 60.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Registered

Default storage

any reason why the cabin was just storage???was it because of the height?? thanx chris
Old 04-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28scarab

my buddy had one.i think his was a 29 or a 28.it did say excel.his had a 502 w/a b&m 256 blower.the boat would run 70 or so but porposed alittle at top end.tough boat,he ran it like he stole it.decent boat.my2cents
Old 04-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a pic of my buddy's 28 scarab, painted all white. 454 with 174 blower and 4-5lbs boost for maybe 525 to 550hp (??) with bravo drive and x dimension raised one inch. Good for 73 mph GPS.

Watch out if for serious rough water use. Bottom will crack under engine from too much flex in bottom, and stringers are not one piece all the way forward. Floors are bare plywood. Can hold up to abuse only if a if a few mods are made.
Attached Thumbnails 28 scarab excel???????-rich-28-scarab.jpg  

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 04-19-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Registered

Default 28 scarab

floors are bare plywood??????? the cockpit floor was al gelcoat???? what modifications need to be made???? thank you for the help Chris
Old 04-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have 1988 28 Excel which I have had for about 9 years now.
When I first bought the boat it had a 7.4/330hp in it and would run about 60mph. That motor came out as soon as I purchased it!
I have done a number of mods to the boat including completely thru-bolting the deck to the hull, adding additonal stringers and cross dupports in the engine compartment. no problem since. The boat is as solid as a rock. I have also completely redone the cockpit interior, seats and upolstry, engine hatch etc.
The Excel was a production boat of decent design, I think fairly well built. My boat gets used in the ocean all of time and there are virtually no stress cracks in the gel coat on the boat. I reinforced the engine compartment after noticing a little stress cracking inside of the boats engine compartment and also had read of another 28 Excel that experienced a problem in the engine compartment area after adding a lot of power. I think I'm fortuanate because my hull is nice and straight, very little work was needed on the bottom of the boat to maximize performance.
The boat is pretty well balanced but if you run in the ocean, and you like to run full out all of the time (thats ME) you will want to play with adding a little weight in the bow. The hull can handle the speed. Never had a hint of of chine walk. The boat does want to porpoise a little between 60-70 when the water is dead calm, a little chop and it goes away.
My boat now has a built 502 putting out about 625HP running thru an upgraded Bravo One and a labbed prop. The boat will run an honest 80mph. It's a fun boat!
I haven't had any problems with rot other than the back seat which I replaced a number of years ago. The fiberglass cockpit sole is solid.

If you can find one that is in decent shape, and then do all of the mods that I have, put 600 + horse in it, rig solid like a race boat and you will have a fast, fun boat for reasonable $$

Last edited by TomR; 04-23-2009 at 06:44 PM.