Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Well on a good note, got the boat detailed!!! >

Well on a good note, got the boat detailed!!!

Notices

Well on a good note, got the boat detailed!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well on a good note, got the boat detailed!!!

Aside from the water/stringer thread, at least I accomplished what I set out to do today. And that was detail this dirty contraption.

Here is some before and after pics.

Little soft scrub and a brush on the grip tape parts and deck, a little 3m vinyl cleaner, and simple green with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser worked wonders on the vinyl, followed up by a little 303.

Question to the wise: I had success in cleaning all the vinyl, with the exception of these "mystery" spots on the sun pad. Does anyone have any idea what they might be, and what might get them out? I have tried Simple green at full strength, soft scrub, a mild degreaser and the 3m vinyl cleaner I have. (The last picture)

This is the sunpad with mysterious spot stains.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Mildew from the backside?
Old 04-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Registered

the boat interior cleans up good , but my question is how did it get that dirty ?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Registered

The boat has been sitting in indoor storage since 2002.

Also, as you guys can tell from the pictures, the steering wheel that was once white, is custom faded to yellow. Whats a good steering wheel that will bolt right in without adapters, looks good and decent price. White and Billet or Black and Billet in color.

Last edited by SmurfOnABoat; 04-18-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try putting some cleaner on the vinyl and covering with a wet towel. Its supposed to draw the stain up as the towel dries. I've had about 50/50 luck with it working.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
You can try putting some cleaner on the vinyl and covering with a wet towel. Its supposed to draw the stain up as the towel dries. I've had about 50/50 luck with it working.
Which should I use? The 3M vinyl cleaner, or the simple green? Or do you recommend something different?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Might try letting it sit in direct sunlight for a few days to see if the sun will bleach out what looks like mildew underneath the vinyl.

just my two cents worth
Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3m or leverage vinyl cleaner first. I always worry simple green would stain if left on. In extreme cases I've used soft scrub with bleach, just keep it away from stiching (bleach ruins the thread) and treat the vinyl with 3m or 303 after rinsing well with water.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
3m or leverage vinyl cleaner first. I always worry simple green would stain if left on. In extreme cases I've used soft scrub with bleach, just keep it away from stiching (bleach ruins the thread) and treat the vinyl with 3m or 303 after rinsing well with water.

Thanks..bleach very diluted and elbow grease in most cases will work..but I prefer not to use harsh chemicals. For tough jobs, I spray the Leverage Vinyl cleaner and scrub first with the Magic Erasors and once it foams up a bit follow up Leverage pad/applicator which is important for getting product down deep into pours vs a towel..doing it in the sun helps for a afternoon, followed up by Leverage conditioner. All of our products are eco friendly and contain no harsh chemicals.
Good luck. Jeff
Old 04-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest230
Might try letting it sit in direct sunlight for a few days to see if the sun will bleach out what looks like mildew underneath the vinyl.

just my two cents worth
+1. Direct sunlight can do wonders for those tough stains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.