Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New hyrdahoist = heart attack...HELP! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/207242-new-hyrdahoist-%3D-heart-attack-help.html)

brian18330 04-20-2009 08:03 AM

New hyrdahoist = heart attack...HELP!

Okay, so I got my new hydrahoist yesterday and installed it great. the old owner had a 29 outlaw on it and I put a 33 outlaw on it, as it was going up it started to roll over....HOLY FUKING CHIT!!! We stopped it and played around with it, lifting up one tank at a time until it was up but I was literally writhering around on the floor having a coronary while this was happening. What is up with this? Can the boat actually roll and sink?? Will it just roll off the lift? Is this normal? Its on a bulkhead and we pounded the 2 rails in about 6 feet and L bracketed the top of them to the bulkhead, it rides up and down on 2 rings. ANY help would be greatly appreciated, I'm about to just tow it 2 miled out in the ocean! PLEASE HELP!!

jimishooch 04-20-2009 08:55 AM

the tanks should fill at the same rate. if not, you might have a blower motor going out. are your control valve handles in the correct position? check all hose clamps inside and out of the control box.
jim

brian18330 04-20-2009 08:58 AM

I think some of the problem is the one pontoon on the inside hits bottom at low tide so the other side takes longer maybe???

sean stinson 04-20-2009 09:04 AM

Listen float your front tanks all the way first and then as the back ones are filling watch them and run them individually until they are coming up evenly together....In essence you are controlling the back ones individually at the same time when it comes up blow the tanks all of them for a bit this cleans the schmutz out of them so they dont plug up when lowering.....When lowering you can sink the back tanks partially and then dump all the valves again just watch the fronts and keep them even as it sinks.....

Sydwayz 04-20-2009 09:06 AM

Is it rated for the weight of a 33 Outlaw?

sean stinson 04-20-2009 09:06 AM

Be careful putting it on the bottom at low tide make sure the area that it rests on is free of rocks and debris that can puncture the tank.... The first time is always the most exciting one....gets your blood pumping doesn't it?????

sean stinson 04-20-2009 09:10 AM

Check your PM box

HiPerf2000 04-20-2009 11:03 AM

both fronts must come up at the same time....First. then both backs at the same time. this way there is no side to side roll.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...tlaunch010.jpg

brian18330 04-20-2009 11:19 AM

I was putting the fronts up when it wanted to roll. I think dockside one comes up faster. It really scares the shyt out of me. Is that when it can roll and sink....when just the front is coming up?

HiPerf2000 04-20-2009 11:33 AM

i've never had it try to roll with just the fronts coming up. if you dont bring the backs up evenly...it WILL want to roll.

sounds like you need to close the one vavle slightly so it raises at the same speed as the slow side.

mine dont raise at the same speed either. i have to work the valves every time i raise and launch.

Jonas 04-20-2009 01:15 PM

Have had small large side and center mount hoists.
Its been a while but
check the lines if the dockside is much shorter seemed to affect it and went faster up and down,
If i recall i believe that was partial problem with one of our sidemount hoists,
I have always had to adjust/regulate and pay attention iwth side mounts
our centermounts were much different and no brainer,. hit the switch and walk away have a beer and go back close valves and turn off,
WIth sidemount, critical
always raise front first and always drop rear first or it can go bow down and that is not fun!
need to make sure no air leaks, i was always a bit nervous when we went on vacation and asked somone to keep an eye,.

shoregasm 04-20-2009 01:23 PM

They give you 4 valves for a reason. Stand at the controls and make sure you regulate the filling. No motor will put out the same volume, thus filling differently. And as everyone stated, keep the nose up. They do take a bit to get used to, but do work great. Just don't expect to open up the valves and turn it on. You will have a problem doing that. I have to adjust my valves going up and down each time. ITS THE LAW

By the way, my 15,000 LB is for sale. Alum frame, great shape. Just sold the boat

O.C.Barry 04-20-2009 01:45 PM

Agreed

Originally Posted by sean stinson (Post 2848106)
Listen float your front tanks all the way first and then as the back ones are filling watch them and run them individually until they are coming up evenly together....In essence you are controlling the back ones individually at the same time when it comes up blow the tanks all of them for a bit this cleans the schmutz out of them so they dont plug up when lowering.....When lowering you can sink the back tanks partially and then dump all the valves again just watch the fronts and keep them even as it sinks.....

The illustrious Sean says it well. And to underscore, I never even started lifting the stern tanks until both front tanks were blowing bubbles. And yes, you sort of have to stay there and play gate keeper with the valves, if one side starts going up more than the other, shut the high side valve down until the other side catches up or even goes a tick higher.

And to state the obvious, some folks don't have the controls facing the same way as the boat is facing. In that instance it is kind of like backing up a trailer, you sort of have to think backwards.

I had a few gut checks when my buddy got his first Hydro Hoist, but it got easier. (The first was for Satin Doll, purportedly the first 38' pleasure Cigarette in 1978).

I hope this helps, Barry

Sydwayz 04-20-2009 02:53 PM

When it has that much of an angle, what keeps it from slipping off backwards? Do you have to spring-cleat it to the dock?

What about shallow water? That would suck to have to inflate it so bow high first and dig your aft end in to the muck.

thisistank 04-20-2009 03:00 PM

Just like others said, I went through the same thing...There's definately a SCARY AZZ learning curve if you haven't been shown how to do it.

Front sponsons all the way up to bubble and then bring the back up. It's the only way you can do it.

It looks totally un-natural when you're boat is pointing up at a 45 degree angle, but that's the way you have to do it. Dock lines secured to the hoist keep it from sliding back.

Jupiter Sunsation 04-20-2009 04:06 PM

They usually won't roll off............. my buddy had a 42 Fountain on one when a hurricane hit. One tank line let out and the whole starboard side submerged during the storm. Boat was tied to the lift, dock and sea wall and water got the rub rail wet but the boat was unscathed.....

I have seen the pics but they were printed pics/ digital. Looked real scary especially with no insurance on the boat....:eek:

HTRDLNCN 04-20-2009 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jonas (Post 2848364)
i was always a bit nervous when we went on vacation and asked somone to keep an eye,.

Mine is at a slip on a Hydro Hoist but I loop safety chains around center when boat is all the way up.
If tanks go bad the chains keep it from going down.
Wont work on a free floater though.

brian18330 04-20-2009 04:26 PM

Isnt there some kind of safety valve if a hose leaks or something???

ReggieRaft 04-20-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by brian18330 (Post 2848521)
Isnt there some kind of safety valve if a hose leaks or something???

nope

brian18330 04-20-2009 06:53 PM

Will the boat roll or anything if air leaks out of a tube????

JBYRD65 04-20-2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by brian18330 (Post 2848652)
Will the boat roll or anything if air leaks out of a tube????

I believe they have separate chambers and chances are you will only lose air in the front or back of of one tube and not both at once.I have had leaks in the older style hydrohoist that I had and have had it go down in one corner but not enough to roll the boat.It does take a little getting used to and had the same thing happen when I first started using it.It scared the hell out of me too.I never had any problems when I got a system down though.I always opened the two fronts all the way first and got the bow up in the air and then opened the rears halfway and then when the front started blowing air i would open both rears.When I let it down into the water I would open the rears all the way and open the fronts halfway and adjust if necessary as sometimes it can get a little uneven.Everyone is right you have to stand over it and watch it but once you figure out how the boat reacts you will be fine.It just takes a little getting used to.If you have anyone on the boat while you are bringing it up or down tell them to be still until you are done.My lift was very sensitive to weight changes from people moving around and also scared the hell out of them and me a couple of times.They really are awesome once you get the hang of it and I would not think of having a boat without one now.Hope this helps.

Jay

4mulafastech 04-20-2009 09:00 PM

I was worried about leaks so I got a First Mate http://www.aqualogicmarine.com/ when we had our lift installed. Senses when the lift has dropped and turns on the blowers automatically. Also has a wireless remote that comes in handy.

sean stinson 04-20-2009 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2848440)
When it has that much of an angle, what keeps it from slipping off backwards? Do you have to spring-cleat it to the dock?

What about shallow water? That would suck to have to inflate it so bow high first and dig your aft end in to the muck.

There should be spring lines set that attach to the back of the boat and attach to the hoist itself so it won slip off backwards....

I also think the shallow water is what is causing the problem and pushing the front end over as it comes up!!!!!

Thanks for the praise Barry!!!!

SDFever 04-20-2009 11:31 PM

This must be why they make that Sun Stream thingy..:party-smiley-004:

brian18330 04-21-2009 08:11 AM

Where should the transom sit in realtion to the back bunk??

brian18330 04-21-2009 07:42 PM

??????????

ReggieRaft 04-21-2009 07:53 PM

On mine the rear bunk extends about 3 " or less past the stern.But my hoist was assemabled for my size boat.

aTX427 04-21-2009 08:51 PM

I leave ropes on the front and rear, but like the safety chain idea to prevent the lift from going down by accident. Will have to look into that one. if one side fails, it will more than likely ruin the lift and possibly drop the boat.

sean stinson 04-21-2009 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by brian18330 (Post 2849080)
Where should the transom sit in realtion to the back bunk??

What you want is the entire boat on the bunks but in a way where the back of the boat keeps the back of the hoist lower than the front.....Reason is that if it rains you want the water to run to the back of the boat!!!!!

JasonSmith 04-21-2009 09:36 PM

I may be retarded, but all of the lifts I have ever had experience with have had all the lines T'd together. 4 valves or not, they all should be opened to fill & the lines should be tied together with T's.
The fill lines should really run the length of the center of the lift & should branch of from that line. If you have 2 blowers they should tie together also to feed all tanks.
Lastly, the boat should really lift evenly front to back. I've never seen anyone lift one like that, but then again, I'm not exactly educated like some are.

JasonSmith 04-22-2009 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by daredevil (Post 2849764)
I worked for Hydrohoist in germany ,,,i actually helped inventing the 4 valve system and i hate to let you know that we only used 1 blower and 4 valves to push it up and the lines where T'd in front of the valves !!!! each pipe should work separate from each other ,,,or it will be hard to work !!

It also depends if its a free floater or a dock mounted lift !!!!

Be that as it may, but here in the greatest country on the face of the Earth, some of us believe that if a little do a little good, a lot do a lot of good. We "Fix" stuff to work.

shoregasm 04-22-2009 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sean stinson (Post 2848839)
There should be spring lines set that attach to the back of the boat and attach to the hoist itself so it won slip off backwards....

I also think the shallow water is what is causing the problem and pushing the front end over as it comes up!!!!!

Thanks for the praise Barry!!!!

38 top gun, I never had spring lines at all ( maybe should have) but never had a problem slipping....they stick pretty well to the bunks