Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Product Idea.....HELP, I need your input! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/207243-new-product-idea-help-i-need-your-input.html)

Bow-Shield 04-20-2009 08:17 AM

New Product Idea.....HELP, I need your input!

Hey everyone,

I built a shield to protect my boat from rocks and road debris when towing. (I didn't like what was already out there)

I need some input from all of you if you don't mind sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Are chips etc from towing a problem on the bow of your boats?

If there was a protector available for boats in the 28 ft and up range what would be important? apperance? cost? ease of use? mounts to the trailer or goes on the boat?

I would really appreciate all of your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Paul

JIMKID Motorsports 04-20-2009 08:59 AM

graig at apperance products makes a nice one hes the guy who seels the skater clothing

timaddington 04-20-2009 09:21 AM

i can see a problem with road debris. especially on boats with custom paint rather than gel coat graghics. my sunsation has a few chips from rocks etc... cant find anything that looks good enough to put on. DONT WANT ANYTHING CHEESY!!!

freerider 04-20-2009 10:28 AM

I use a hitch mounted tow flap like motorhomes use when towing vehicles. Since it mouts to my hitch, I only use it when towing the boat.

Airpacker 04-20-2009 12:43 PM

When I got my cat, I had the top guys make me a set of trailering booties thatslip on over the bows and cover the bottom up to 4 feet back. The attach to the trailer frame with bungees pulling rearward to keep them on. Not one stone chip ever :) Simple installation, takes seconds to install and remove. Cost around 30 bucks to have made.

Bow-Shield 04-20-2009 02:49 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. Once again it proves that many perspectives are a good thing. I'll try to put up a couple photos of the shield I built so you all can see what I had in mind.

glassdave 04-20-2009 03:21 PM

being in the repair biz i see this stuff all the time. Its usually very slight but yes road debris does do some damage. Unless someone can explain some other way stone chips can get on the nose of a boat :D

SkiDoc 04-20-2009 08:25 PM

Rock chips kill me. I do not like them on the trailer either. Most people don't worry about the trailer, but it's important to me. I use the flaps which attach to the tow hitch, but it is a pain to take on and off. I left them on one week and caught too much crap about my huge mudflaps.

jeff1000man 04-20-2009 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2848463)
being in the repair biz i see this stuff all the time. Its usually very slight but yes road debris does do some damage. Unless someone can explain some other way stone chips can get on the nose of a boat :D

running over jet skis