Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any suggestions?  Magic Cat motor blew up 1.5hrs after purchase! >

Any suggestions? Magic Cat motor blew up 1.5hrs after purchase!

Notices

Any suggestions? Magic Cat motor blew up 1.5hrs after purchase!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That SUCKS big time and i feel your pain ,think we've allbeen thru it at least once ... it will be money out the window going the Legal route as much as you dont want to hear that ... who built the motor in Havazoo ? If it was PR@ you may as well start from scratch cause it was JUNK to start with ...
Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer- everyone reading this thats owned a high performance boat winced when they read this.

Welcome to the joys of high performance boating.
As one guy said you bought a 7 year old ride with a blower motor in it.

Forget about the engine and move on- you bought as is. It sucks, but it is what it is.

At this stage Id look for a take out or low hours naturally aspirated engine and replace it wholesale. I would NOT recommend rebuilding what you have unless you strip everything down completely. You dont know how its been driven a blower can hide lots of worn out stuff like valves and rings etc..

You have to go inside it thoroughly and you will likely end up with a cascade effect of just rebuilding everything- this will probably take your ride out of commission till the end of the season at this stage.

You can get a good deals on engines from reputable guys right now, or simply pick up a cheap crate engine and swap the marine parts out and a quick weekends in- out job and you'll be back on the water and then you can take the time to go through what you have and decide what's salvagable - while you are boating.

In the last decade Ive had a middle of the road HP wise "hot spare" ready to drop in when something inevitbly goes boom so I can be boating quickly - this blown engine should become you new hot spare.

My advice is to stay mid HP and fuel injected so you can go boating and have fun- Frankly- youre never going to be a "big dog" in Havasu so just enjoy it for what it is a great performing cat/deckboat.

Hold out dude - youll make it through this and it will get better.

Uncle Dave
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

23,000 bucks, that should get you a new 800 to 1000 motor with high end parts, call DEAN GELLNER HE CAN BUILD YOU NEW 650HP NON BLOWER MOTOR FOR ABOUT well I will pm you a lot cheaper or if you want to keep your blower he can build you a new motor with it too. but 650hp for a blower motor is chit it should last all day of opening it up for 5 to 10 mintues not seconds that bullchit 15 seconds. it would be cheaper to go NOS for 15 second runs. but you might be better to sell the blower and go na
Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I feel your pain. I only got 10 hours out of my engines before one blew. Good thing I didn't try to fix it as it was only a matter of time before the other one blew. Boat was advertised with just 30 hours on a rebuild.

Do lots of research. I would buy a new longblock that you could switch over all the accessories to. Visit with your local engine builder and tell him your budget. Get a build sheet/quote and hold them to it.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
GB
Registered

Sorry for the misfortune. Did the owner ever calm down or did ya call him an ambulance? Whata professional phuckin' piece of work he was...!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I definitely knew it was a roll of the dice when I bought the boat...not knowing the maintenance on a 7 year old motor. I was just hoping to get through a season or two let alone the first day before dropping in a new motor!

My mechanic tore apart my motor and he told me the heads are fine. He quoted me 9k for a 540 short deck short block assembly plus another 10-12k for labor and other various parts (camshaft, oil pan, valve train parts, oil pump, oil cooler, oil lines etc.)! Can anyone suggest other reputable dealers in SoCal area? I was going to try PPfaff or Teague..anywhere else? I'm not sure if I want to rebuild what I have or start from scratch. If I start over, what's the best way of selling used parts..heads, supercharger, blower, headers etc.? Ebay? Any advice would help!

Thanks guys!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Registered

Unhappy

Originally Posted by BHutten
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I definitely knew it was a roll of the dice when I bought the boat...not knowing the maintenance on a 7 year old motor. I was just hoping to get through a season or two let alone the first day before dropping in a new motor!

My mechanic tore apart my motor and he told me the heads are fine. He quoted me 9k for a 540 short deck short block assembly plus another 10-12k for labor and other various parts (camshaft, oil pan, valve train parts, oil pump, oil cooler, oil lines etc.)! Can anyone suggest other reputable dealers in SoCal area? I was going to try PPfaff or Teague..anywhere else? I'm not sure if I want to rebuild what I have or start from scratch. If I start over, what's the best way of selling used parts..heads, supercharger, blower, headers etc.? Ebay? Any advice would help!

Thanks guys!
sending another pm to you. this guy is phucking you big time.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
I'll second that. Thats about double what it should cost.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
OUCH !!!! Phuchin is right any without any LUBE
Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I'll second that. Thats about double what it should cost.
HOW TRUE. I hope he talks to Dean even to just get advise he would be smart.but I sent my motor from NJ to ohio, and next will be mass after the glass and konrad set up is installed this summer. it will be nice not to worry about a drive breaking at any minute. can't wait to get in the over 100mph club for 24 ,25 outlaws I know to 2 to 3 and a bunch in the 90s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.