Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thank you Mark Terry aka Dock Holiday... >

Thank you Mark Terry aka Dock Holiday...

Notices

Thank you Mark Terry aka Dock Holiday...

Old 04-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Thank you Mark Terry aka Dock Holiday...

Exemplary customer service...

I called Mark on Monday inquiring about the best bearing replacement for my Myco Trailer.

After a great conversation on the ins and outs of the Chinese bearings that came with my trailer, and most other trailers, the differences between them and the Timken and other American products, I placed my order on Monday afternoon; and had a full set of 14 bearings and 7 seals in my hands on Wednesday morning. Plus he provided guidance and instruction on how to insure proper seal assembly so as not to damage the intricate rear axle seals.

That my friends, is how you do it; and do it well.

Thanks Mark!
http://www.alliedbrgs.com/

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-22-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:12 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Exemplary customer service...

I called Mark on Monday inquiring about the best bearing replacement for my Myco Trailer.

After a great conversation on the ins and outs of the Chinese bearings that came with my trailer, and most other trailers, the differences between them and the Timken and other American products, I placed my order on Monday afternoon; and had a full set of 14 bearings and 7 seals in my hands on Wednesday morning. Plus he provided guidance and instruction on how to insure proper seal assembly so as not to damage the intricate rear axle seals.

That my friends, is how you do it; and do it well.

Thanks Mark!
http://www.alliedbrgs.com/
It's a shame that a premium trailer manufacturer would choose to install the lowest priced bearings out there to save probably less than $5 dollars a wheel.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Registered

Brian,

I need/want to replace the bearings on my Myco. What info do they need from me regarding bearing size, etc.?

Steve
Old 04-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

For Myco, get your model number, and go to their website and view the parts for your trailer.

For anyone else, most bearings have a number stamped/printed on them will allow Mark and/or anyone to cross reference them to his numbers.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Charter Member #928
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold bearings for years and there is as much difference as any other crap that comes from there. It can also be dangerous. Remember the valve stem problem? Guess my Myco needs to be checked good this year. Timken, SKF, some NTN are good. Germany, Japan, UK, should be fine.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
For Myco, get your model number, and go to their website and view the parts for your trailer.

For anyone else, most bearings have a number stamped/printed on them will allow Mark and/or anyone to cross reference them to his numbers.
Did you end up with Timken bearings?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed out the bearings on a triple-axle with 5.2k axles about a month ago. I went to the local bearing shop and they pulled out all the Chinese junk, I asked them where the Timkens I called about were, they said they could get me the Timkens but it would take a week (ended up taking 2 ). But as a test I took enough bearings to do one side in the Chinese stuff, one side in Timkens and I'll pull them apart again in a couple months to see if there is a difference. Trailer is under a 93 Top Gun, so the axles/bearings are definitely getting a workout.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Yes, I bought Timken from Mark. Without counting, the Timkens have about 33% more bearings in the actual rotating assembly vs. the Chinese crap.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You must be mistaken. No way a Myco would have cheap bearings. I keep hearing they are the best trailers.

Did you get your MaxBrake installed yet?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Brian,

Sorry I missed this post somehow. Thank you very much for the kind words, your business and your friendship.

As always I'm happy to help you and any of our fellow boaters in any way I can.

My business is directed to industrial manufacturing accounts but many of what we sell does overlap and I have supplied many here on the board with bearings, seals and even Gates blower belts for their superchargers.

I've been doing this now for 35 years and there is no subsitute for quality. We are factory direct authorized distributors for Timken, SKF, NTN and KOYO who I consider to be the leaders in Tapered Roller Bearings listed in order of quality. Timken is the grandfather and a proud American company based out of Ohio and even though they manufacturer bearings around the world like all the others they never cut quality and that s all I run in my boat trailers and I have never had a single bearing failure pushing 100K miles total now.

The next key is your oil seals and I stay with National (owned by Timken) and C/R (Chicago Rawhide owned by SKF) only.

Last but not least is grease and my personal preference is Mystik JT6 which is a great lubricant for almost every application you and I will ever see in out personal lives.

Start with good bearings, adjust them correctly and add good lubrication. Then flush out the grease at the end of each season and fill with new fresh greah and you will have years of safe towing. Remember to keep a spare set of bearings adn seals with you as insurance. Luck favors the prepared.

Brian I sold you that installation tool at my cost from several years ago. After you use it if you don't want to keep it fill free to send it back for a full refund.

Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing you on the water soon.

Mark

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 04-24-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.