Notices

ssm #3 drive?????

Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ssm #3 drive?????

are these drives any good??? do they use a tranny?? what tranny??? are transmissions any good??? thank you all chris
Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

They are a good drive, and require a transmission. Been around for 30 plus years. How much hp are you running? A BAM 9 plate Cyborg is good for 850 hp (advertised), or a Huber transmission. As long as the transmission is rated for the hp then you should be good, more transmission plates/clutch discs.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default # 3SSM's

Originally Posted by 21eagle
are these drives any good??? do they use a tranny?? what tranny??? are transmissions any good??? thank you all chris
They are great drives but Mercruiser discontinued them a number of years ago so some of the parts are getting scarce. Mercruiser followed up the 3 with a SSM3A which had larger prop shafts and some other beefier parts. The SSM3A was discontinued a few years back as well. There are lots of these drives out there and they are very good drives, but again some of the parts can become a challenge.

By the way SSM4's were only built for about 18 months, so they are very difficult to find parts for.

SSM5's were a shortened version of the SSM3A so the bulk of the parts are the same as SSM3A's.

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 05-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 2,832 Likes on 951 Posts

We have 3A's on our Top Gun. Been great drives!! With only the 600 HP we have going to them, no problems when I "miss" a launch here and there

I've heard they have the basic inards of the #6 drive and were commonly refered to as baby 6's.

I wouldn't worry about parts....They'll be parts around longer than you'll own the boat most likely.