Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   staggered engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/208453-staggered-engines.html)

phragle 03-28-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2862371)
not sure if the math was done on it but i looked into staggering my 34 and decided it wouldnt work. I think it may have to do with the shorter boat not being able to handle the CG moving forward as well as down.

Deans 38 Fountain full stagger pivots fine when splitting the drives. A little slower but no prob at all. But than again it IS a Fountain so :drink:

It also spins well at pretty much any speed. I heard he will have 'the come in full throttle and bam! pitch a 270 right into the slip' down this season, kind of like ebrake park jobs in the rental car....

[youtube]PWIqbAIoIJ8[/youtube]

PARADISE ISLAND 03-29-2010 07:29 AM

Staggered is the way to go docking is not that bad the positives out weigh the negitives 10-1:party-smiley-004:Speed gain alone whould cost you a fortune to egual the gain in MPH:drink:

LEOPAJM 03-29-2010 07:41 AM

33 Powerplay ...

Ona-Mission 03-29-2010 12:27 PM

I know staggered gains speed. I'm just sure why. Is it center of gravity? Props being closer together? It probably something simple that I'm just not seeing.

Smarty 03-29-2010 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ona-Mission (Post 3077254)
I know staggered gains speed. I'm just sure why. Is it center of gravity? Props being closer together? It probably something simple that I'm just not seeing.

Where the weight of the boat (overall is distributed). If the boat (anyboat) where to be picked up would it be tail heavy, and fly over wakes with the bow up, or would weight be centered in the boat, with a staggered set-up the engines will sit lower in the boat too since they are not side by side. The engines can be set deeper, and weight distributed for the manufacturer's desired performance result. Lowering the center of gravity, and moving weight forward. With side by side engines, drive and engine can sometimes be mounted high in order to lower gear case hydrodynamic efficiency. The same staggered set-up can mount the engines lower in the boat, and keep an elevated prop shaft for less drag.

Falcon 03-29-2010 07:09 PM

As mentioned before, CG is definitely part of it. The other part of the equation is that a v-hull, with a given amount of power and type of prop, work best with the propshaft at a given depth to the "keel". By moving the drives closer together with the same depth from the keel, the drives can be at a higher x-dimension. Less drive in the water, lower drag for the same leverage on the hull, more speed.

BODYSHOT1 03-30-2010 04:05 PM

Sutphen staggered at least one 30 (Inferno) that I know of...small blocks, of course..

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 2862095)
I think the shortest boat Cigarette will stagger is their 39. Anybody else know of a full staggered boat shorter than that?

Falcon 03-30-2010 07:22 PM

38 Fountain, don't know if they stagger the 35.

fglightning 03-30-2010 09:56 PM

Fountain 35 is a full stagger

Chris 03-31-2010 10:33 AM

How much room is required in the engine compartment for a short stagger or a full stagger?