Marine Battery vs. RV Battery? >

Marine Battery vs. RV Battery?

Notices

Marine Battery vs. RV Battery?

Old 06-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Marine Battery vs. RV Battery?

Im trying to find a battery that is going to be big enough and last long enough to run my stereo system all day.

Ill have 3 2000 w amps running a very large system. My concern with putting 4 batteries in is that I'll end up with too much weight in the back of the boat and I still wont be able to listen to it all day without draining it.

I got an email today about a battery that looks like it would fit perfectly for what I need but I dont know enough about them to make the purchase.

It claims to have 475 minutes of discharge usage while at 25 amps.

If i used one HUGE single battery like this, I wouldnt have to buy an expensive 6 bank battery charger and scatter batteries all over the boat trying to make the weight right. It would fit in my step compartment going into the cabin so it'd be pretty well centered in the boat.

Its 19"x10" so its a monster and it weighs in at over 160 pounds. But thats the equivalent of one less person on board so I think i could live with the weight.

Can someone with a little more knowledge on batteries than me chime in and offer some advice?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=7

crap, sorry.. more info
Old 06-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy chit thats big!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered

ya, it "sounds" heavy, but when you do the math its not really that bad. average weight of a deep cell marine battery is 56 lbs.
56 x 4 = 224 lbs.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick with a "marine rated" battery. It's safer. Also if its a wet cell type make sure it's in a compartment vented to the exterior
Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Registered

Its the same battery thats listed under "Marine Applications" also.. whats the difference between them? how is it "safer".. doesnt make any sense.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of times battery manufactures will manufacture the same battery in both marine and non marine versions. But they will state if it is a "Marine" battery. The spacers between the plates are designed different. Using non marine batteries in a marine application will result in problems from early battery failure (shorted/dead cells) up to catastrophic failure (GO BOOM). Along with the problems of loss of warranty and or loss of insurance coverage.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Read this article. Maybe the dual golf cart batteries would be an option. It does explain about auto start vs deep cycle vs marine.

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered a generator?

All that draw for a full day is beyond the scope of just about anything marine. As was said, you could rig in a towmotor battery but when it fails and explodes from the bouncing that a boat gets, don't expect your insurer to take your calls.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe I am going to say this but maybe a little less stereo?? I run two 12" subs six 6" and four tweeters with two amps all most all day on one battery and keep one battery onboard as a spare. If you want to jam that hard core go get a honda EU2000 generator and strap that biotch to your swim platform. They are the quietest generators around, and with that much stereo you couldn't hear anything anyway!!!!!

Good Luck

WILL

Quick Reply: Marine Battery vs. RV Battery?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.