Fender Covers do they Work??? >

Fender Covers do they Work???

Notices

Fender Covers do they Work???

Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Covers do they Work???

After being in the same slip now for almost 2 years I am starting to see some wear on the gelcoat where our 2 fenders rub. We have the boat tied up well and it actually spends most the time sitting there not touching the fenders at all but if the wind is out of the North it pushes the boat against the fenders and the dock.

We use the Polyform HTM-3. I am wondering if the covers for them would help. I am assuming that the small wear is from the fender getting dirty and rubbing on the boat like sand paper. The stern fender is the only spot that is very noticeable because that is where most the pressure occurs when the winds pick up. With a boat in the slip next to us there is nothing different I can do with the lines to pull it off the dock 100% of the time.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by SpeedGirl; 05-21-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: remove links
Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes they work. You could get the whips that will hold the boat off hte dock as well. They look like fishing rods for your boat.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't bother with the lightweigh mesh-style fender covers that West Marine sells - once they snag on something, they start shredding. Do a Google search and find some made out of heavy velour-type material. KEEP THEM UP OUT OF THE WATER. If they soak up grit, you'll be right back where you started.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made some out of Sunbrella for at the dock and a couple out of fleece for when rafted up to other boats. Haven't had a chance to use them too much to see how they hold up but I love the fleece ones, they are so soft.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Get some custom made fleece ones. They are the best and will save your paint/gelcoat.