Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BIGGEST boat,,, SMALLEST tow vehicle... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20946-biggest-boat-smallest-tow-vehicle.html)

freckles 03-26-2002 04:46 PM

We bought a 201 Liberator from a guy who pulled it with a Mustang 5.0 5-speed. At the sea-trial he pulled the boat+trailer out of the water and you could smell the clutch burning. He had the boat a year and already had to replace the clutch once.

Coddigtion 03-26-2002 04:47 PM

Well....

This isn't the largest or the smallest, but I would like to hear everyones opinion.

Z71 Tahoe Class V Hitch Load Bal, 3.73, 5.3 W/Blower ---- Towing a 32 Active Thunder V Hull.

This is just tempoary, the new truck was ordered this morning, but won't be here for six to eight weeks..... I know this is nuts, but I would like to be in the water shortly.

What do you think about Florida to Houston? Please I need some advice and not flames... LOL

Cheers...

US1 Fountain 03-26-2002 05:24 PM

Seen an MGB pulling a boat once before. Don't recall the boat type or size, just thay it was big enough to have a tandem axle trailer.

Cattitude 03-26-2002 05:34 PM

White knuckle ride

Codd- don't do it! That would be one white knuckle ride and the AT would be driving the tahoe. A lot of people get by with similar combo's with a short tow to the ramp but your looking at 40 hrs rt battling the crazies at highway speeds. You'd also be lucky to have a tranny left when you are done (Yes i know it's a pretty flat run) The 4L60E just is not rated to tow that much and with blower torque on the front end- the tranny would be the fuse.

You mention a class V hitch- isn't that 5k /500 lbs? tongue weight? You would definatly need a weight distribution hitch to safely pull the AT any distance. Good luck but stay safe!:eek:

Coddigtion 03-26-2002 05:43 PM

Cat: I know its not wise :rolleyes: , that is why I think I am going to have it shipped. I am only going one way though, and it is a drive that I would love to make.

On the Class V hitch is rated for 10k/1700 tongue according to the specs. The tahoe already has a 5k hitch on it.

I am going to stay safe, that is my primary concern, if I do it, the tahoe will be upgraded, and I know the tranny is the weak link.

You need to see the tranny of a Corvette after a large does of Turbos and Gas. ;-) They are pretty much the same tranny, and mine withstood 35k miles under 626 RWHP :D

Shorgasm 03-26-2002 05:51 PM

Hmmm....let's see here.........when I bought the Bayliner all we had to tow it with was a 1993 Z-34 Lumina....Hmmm.....23 footer tandem trailer..and boat weight of about 3300lbs....

Well we pulled a double ski trailer to this place with both skis....

Now the only problem with this is the boat was in Atlanta Georgia......and I live in Ormond beach Florida....

Luckily my parents lived about 10 miles from the marina where I got it.....Some interesting things were going through my mind as we made that 10 mile trip with the boat.......First off...well what's that funny smell???.....Oh that's just the transmission freaking out.....

Couldn't sleep all night worrying about it....:(

Got up in the morning and went straight to the gas station....filled those tires up to about 50 PSI......and then jennifer asked if the owner's manual had a towing limit in it somewhere..........

And to that I quickly ran to the glovebox and grabbed it before she could.....Oh it had one and it was about 1000lbs total....I just said "No Honey...can't seem to find it".......while quickly tearing the page out and throwing it away...

Now the funny thing here is.......we got on the highway and that damn car sat at 85 friggin MPH the whole way home........Couldn't F-in beleive it........

Now running the A/Cwas not an option........too which I was repeatadly told sucked very badly......:rolleyes:

brakeless 03-26-2002 05:57 PM

I once seen a couple in Saginaw pull a Carver Cruiser about 30' long with an Astro mini-van. We had to help him push the thing out of the water the wheels were spinning so bad.

mfb357 03-26-2002 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about a Formula F357 -SR1 behind a Mercury Mountaineer?

blueamerican 03-26-2002 07:42 PM

About 25 years ago, my dad was in Miami and got a great deal on a then fairly new 27" Magnum w/twin small blocks. As you can remember, these were built very heavy, with a bi steel trailer. He pulled it all the way from Miami to NJ with a Buick-Electra 225. The car died not too long after the trip, but we had a great boat for the next two summers.

BadDog 03-26-2002 08:32 PM

Had a buddy that pulled a 22 Glastron with 225Merc with a Chevetee! Went from Lansing to Grand Haven several times a month. He said it was not too bad but you had to keep it above 65 so the engine was tached out in 3rd else it han no power? Seen him do crazier things than that though.