Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
High Speed Boating Questions >

High Speed Boating Questions

Notices

High Speed Boating Questions

Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You will be suprised just how FAST everything is happening on a go-fast. Even when you're only doing 50-60, there's just a LOT to be paying attention to. At least that's the one thing I noticed when I was in your shoes last year. At the start of the season, I wouldn't take it much above 45...by the end I was comfortable running WOT (70)for a few minutes on a calm day. Follow the advice above and stay within your comfort zone. If you think you might be pushing it too hard, you probably are. Enjoy!!
Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with most of what being said on here, especially:

Know your boat. I would recommed taking the boat out by yourself so there is no peer pressure from anybody to go faster or anything like that. Then drive where you feel comfortable at, probably 40 or 50 and just get used to it, then you can progress speeds as your ability increases.

How fast is fast? That answer is relative to water conditions and everything else. Somedays you can get bored driving your boat at 70 because of how flat the water is. On the flip side, 50 can be fast when conditions kick up (4-6' and chop etc). Just take your time to progress.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen boats roll in straight aways and seen them roll at 30mph. So the comments of "learn your boat" are right on the mark. If you are serious about it take Tres Class.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Registered

Default What cuased this crash

This was the clip already posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjluQW-KBas

Would this of happened if they were running tabs? Is this just the cause of to fast and landed on the starboard side.

What happened to cause this? Were the drives to high, over running boat, came out of throttle,etc. What would cause this?

This is the scenario that I want to protect against.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
I have to agree with most of what being said on here, especially:

Know your boat. I would recommed taking the boat out by yourself so there is no peer pressure from anybody to go faster or anything like that. Then drive where you feel comfortable at, probably 40 or 50 and just get used to it, then you can progress speeds as your ability increases.

How fast is fast? That answer is relative to water conditions and everything else. Somedays you can get bored driving your boat at 70 because of how flat the water is. On the flip side, 50 can be fast when conditions kick up (4-6' and chop etc). Just take your time to progress.
water conditions are what i look at the most
Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OhioRiverCigarett

Would this of happened if they were running tabs? Is this just the cause of to fast and landed on the starboard side.

What happened to cause this? Were the drives to high, over running boat, came out of throttle,etc. What would cause this?

Thanks
I would put my money on it being caused by over-trimming the drives and trying to show off. Tabs could have helped if used properly, if you had tabs and they were in the up position, they obviously wouldn't have done anything. You can see as soon as the boat hit's the wake, it points toward the sun which it wouldn't have done if it was trimmed properly, people forget that deep v's are designed to slice through the water and when it's rough you want to use the length of your boat to cut through the water and not just ride on your pad (if you have one).
Old 06-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OhioRiverCigarett

Thanks
Way too much trim. This is one of the things you learn in Tres's course. When you come off a roller you want to go up level. Now that you have seen this start watching the videos of other boats. Over trimed, coming off a roller you have one of three results, stuffing, rolling or being lucky the other two did not happen.

As far as taking the Tres's school, it can be money well spent. The course is not cheap but lets look at this youtube video. What do you think that roll over cost him? Since it looks like he was the only one in the boat, lets hope he was not injured, the minimum would be to put the boat back together, say $5000.00 If that driver would have taken Tres's course I bet that video would not be existing and this driver would have way more money in is pocket now.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
I would put my money on it being caused by over-trimming the drives and trying to show off. Tabs could have helped if used properly, if you had tabs and they were in the up position, they obviously wouldn't have done anything. You can see as soon as the boat hit's the wake, it points toward the sun which it wouldn't have done if it was trimmed properly, people forget that deep v's are designed to slice through the water and when it's rough you want to use the length of your boat to cut through the water and not just ride on your pad (if you have one).
Ditto on the over trimmed. What happens is you learn that more trim = more speed. So (as in the clip) you are out hot rodding with your buddies who are a little faster. In order to keep up and compensate for your lack of hp, you run over trimmed and fast. Then the roller comes through and you end up bow to the sky and landing on the transom. Nothing good happens when you land on the transom as illustrated in the clip. You need to always be ready to quickly trim down or throttle down in high speed sitations to avert trouble. I personally have been lucky and have learn to respect trim
Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

After watching that video I think it is important to itterate that you should not be afraid of your boat either. Learn to make it do what you want it to do. That yahoo was trimming to "make" it jump. "Its not a jetski"...and he found that out. Your 33 foot cig without steps should be a pretty forgiving hull when powered to run in the 70's. A boat like yours is very safe if driven appropriately. Tres course is an excellent recommendation. I think if you can pick it up somewhere, then get some seat time, you will be driving your boat like a pro. If not...find someone with experience in a similar v with tabs to get you pointed in the right direction. You are already proving yourself a future very safe driver by asking this question in this manner.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Registered

All of the replies I see here I agree with, however there is definitely "do's and dont's" when driving. I posted a similar question and didn't get much back either. For instance, when driving a stepped boat, there is definitely a proper way to turn and a dangerous way to turn. Hence the numerous rolls of stepped boats. I cannot honestly say that I know which one is correct, and I'm about to move up to a 34 stepped Vyper. I would love to take Tres' class and have all intentions on doing so, but IMO, he should be there to fine tune the obvisous and showing more advanced driving and not to teach something that would be so critical regardless of seat time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.