water leaking in at exhaust

Notices

water leaking in at exhaust

Old 05-25-2009, 09:05 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water leaking in at exhaust

A little water is probably to be expected but I am at the point where the bilge pumps have to work if I am dragging ass. No problem on plane but at the ramp, not on plane, etc. water is coming in around one of the straight thru exhaust pipes. I have not started taking things apart but i am wondering what is used to seal that gap.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
They make a Stainless ring with a rubber gasket that slips over the pipe and is mounted from the outside with the ring !!!
AND WHO IS THEY. THE REAL DEAL IS CONVEYER BELT RUBBER MATERIAL WITH ALUMN. OR STAINLESS BEAUTY RING. MM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't wait too long on that...I've found new transoms can be very expensive once they start getting wet.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 AM
rjr
Registered

Hopefully Formula did the cutout right and backed the core away from the cutout and filled with epoxy. I'll find out soon
Old 05-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Before you install the beauty ring, and gasket, put a fresh coat of fiberglass resin on the wood (the inside of the cutout). This will help protect the wood in the future. And be sure to seal the screws the hold the beauty ring on. Water intrusion is the enemy.

Darrell.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 PM
rjr
Registered

Bad news. A previous owner replaced the exhaust tips and did a poor job of sealing the original bolt holes. Big mess!!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Oohhhuuuhhh.... Hope it isn't as bad as it COULD be??
Old 06-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by el indio
AND WHO IS THEY. THE REAL DEAL IS CONVEYER BELT RUBBER MATERIAL WITH ALUMN. OR STAINLESS BEAUTY RING. MM.
Check out silicone rubber sheets. Stretches around the pipe last forever. comes in white and a couple different colors.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
rjr
Registered

I suppose it could be worse but not much. The transom is rotten pretty much to the drain plug.

Last year I had to pull just the motors. This time it's going to be everything. While the motors were out I had the starters rebuilt, and the waterpumps replaced. I am thinking that this time I will replace the universal joints (I have boxes), and put longer hoses on the block drains. Can anybody think of anything else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.