Who has tried a ex race canopy cat as poker run pleasure boat >

Who has tried a ex race canopy cat as poker run pleasure boat

Notices

Who has tried a ex race canopy cat as poker run pleasure boat

Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree: canopy visibility for pleasure use is not good.

Brad: good job on the conversion. Did you buy a new windshield?
John
Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

a full race canopy in a fast cat will reduce your visibilty, but if your running a buck thirty in a cat without one and loose it, the boxlid will be pine.....
Old 06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You're correct, but....
To run a canopy boat you should have the oxygen mask plus all the other necessary racing gear (including the correct life jacket) and if you lack training on getting out of the excape hatch (if you go over); you might drown.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Due
Old 06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

The old windshield worked fine. I agree on the dunk test. I am APBA certified, however none of my passengers were. I think four people in a canopy boat upside down wearing seat belts would be a bad situation. I did have the correct canopy jackets that only inflate upon pulling the handles. Like I said way too intimidating for most people. I enjoyed the canopy but most others did not.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Brad-
I figured that you'd have the correct gear and know how to use it.

Thanks for the windshield info.
John
Old 06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
The old windshield worked fine. I agree on the dunk test. I am APBA certified, however none of my passengers were. I think four people in a canopy boat upside down wearing seat belts would be a bad situation. I did have the correct canopy jackets that only inflate upon pulling the handles. Like I said way too intimidating for most people. I enjoyed the canopy but most others did not.
I can see how 4 people in a turtled cat would be a mess, my rig only holds 2.

We have 20#Scuba gear on each side (15 minutes), with 15' of line and the right vests.

Most people I have taken up to now have had no issue with the cockpit. Ours is also very well ventilated with powerful fans.

I have mirrors that work enough for what would be coming up behind me and to the rear sides. However everywhere I run I know who could be coming up behind me and know where they are on the lake. They would also know not to come up directly behind a boat canopy or not.

This is the reason why I doubt I will do any PR apart from a couple in Florida (KW & MIA Boatshow) and when not sure of the people I will leave with I will use the advice One Sick Gladiator told me.... "Leave half an hour after everyone, by-pass the card stops and you will be the last at the lunch stop thus no one will walk all over your rig then when leaving pull aside let everyone go again and take off 30 minutes later"

We idle with the lid open and looking out the hatch, when I take off I do a last 360* scan close the lid and hit it always going toward the right slightly (I sit on starboard) in order to see the water I will thread while the nose settles down (approx 3 second). I would not say it is worst than taking off with the Cigarettes I have had. You do loose the sky view which is different but useless in regards to safe boating.

We do have Peltor Communication Headphones and helmets and they cut down on the noise, I would say that the wind cruising around at 110 is a factor noise wise that is comparable. Also now that we are use to the headphones I would not boat otherwise in any rig I would own.

I cannot say I would feel as comfortable in a cockpit "V" that does not have a bottom hatch if you flip, but that might just be my level of tolerance.

In the end any crash in any boat over 70 mph will be a mess V or Cat, Lid or not, so take all the precautions possible and use your head and have fun.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Most people I have taken up to now have had no issue with the cockpit.
Of course they have all been thin and fit!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:41 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pic from one of the mirrors running....

Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Pic! I don't think you have to worry about anyone coming up directly behind you!

Originally Posted by GLH
Pic from one of the mirrors running....

Last edited by Propster; 06-01-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Propster
Cool Pic! I don't think you have to worry about anyone coming up directly behind you!
There is always a bigger fish but we try!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.