Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   $50.00 to the 1st person that can diagonsis this!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/209929-%2450-00-1st-person-can-diagonsis.html)

oreo11zeus 06-01-2009 03:27 PM

Battery switch - half the electrics - I had that gremlin once -

VtSteve 06-01-2009 03:29 PM

The last time I've seen something happen like that, one of the connectors had managed to come right off the battery terminal itself. It's standard procedure in the spring to make sure all connections are secure, but sometimes they don't get done properly.

The battery switch isn't a bad thing to check either depending on how your boat is wired up.

Fountain38SC 06-02-2009 08:51 AM

Bad battery switch was a close call. I called a marine electronics guy this AM. Took him 1 hour to dx & repair a bad ground from one of the battery switches. Cost $150.00. Shoulda called him from the start. I checked the switched but thought that if they would start the boat & I had power between the posts, I was good. Like I said I HATE ELECTRIC!!

Thanks for trying to help.

SpeedGirl 06-02-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl (Post 2877003)
maybe a bad battery switch??

So when do I get my $50? :popcorn:

thumper038 06-02-2009 11:33 AM

Winner?

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl (Post 2878518)
So when do I get my $50? :popcorn:

Um What do you have for her

SpeedGirl 06-03-2009 05:49 AM

I guess he will be avoiding this thread, a chicks knowledge isn't worth the $$... I might have to stick it to the top!!!

Panther 06-03-2009 09:22 AM

In addition to fuses, buy yourself a cheap test light, a 10 ft jumper wire with clips and keep a roll of wire on the boat at all times.... If that were my boat we would have it running in 5 minutes! :)

PS, I think EColby was the closest. ;)

Fountain38SC 06-03-2009 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl (Post 2879292)
I guess he will be avoiding this thread, a chicks knowledge isn't worth the $$... I might have to stick it to the top!!!

Not avoiding anything - out on da boat :))

The switch was not the problem. The ground wire attached to 1 of the switches was not grounded at the boat end. Splitting hairs? I don't know. If you replace the switch, you still have a problem. Replace the ground at the other end of the wire & problem solved. Granted it is associated with the switch. If you feel that they are the same, I have no problem sending you the $'s. Just let me know where to send it.

Honestly, it's a close call.

Panther 06-03-2009 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by E Colby (Post 2876986)
Check the ground post on the back of one of the motors. If the nut is loose or the connection between the terminal or wire is bad, it could cause this.

I still say E_Colby had the best advice... :drink:

Grounds, connections and fuses are the first place to check, especially if it stopped working after pushing a switch.

Also, battery switch is on the positive side, not negative/ground. :)

US1 Fountain 06-03-2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2879654)
Also, battery switch is on the positive side, not negative/ground. :)

Yeah, someones got some splain'n to do.