Sea Strainer recommendations.... >

Sea Strainer recommendations....

Notices

Sea Strainer recommendations....

Old 06-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Oh yeah- I also like the fact that the the nut, lid, and strainer basket all come off as one piece ( you can separate them later if you want) but its a quick process with no small parts to lose.

Get an integrated flush out so you can screw the hose right into the boat, it will help dramatically with flushing and keep the impellers running longer-

Make damm sure you keep the length between the strainer and teh impeller as short as possible- too much length and youll lose impellers left and right.

Uncle Dave
So I am assuming by your statement, the sea strainer goes on the inlet water hose, before the raw water pump, then feeds from the strainer to the raw water pump?

Anyone got a used strainer kit out there they want to part with???
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stainless Marine. You can stand on them, nothing will break. The super strainers I have were around $1K each new. $650 with fittings isn't a bad price.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmurfOnAGixxer
So I am assuming by your statement, the sea strainer goes on the inlet water hose, before the raw water pump, then feeds from the strainer to the raw water pump?

Anyone got a used strainer kit out there they want to part with???
Pretty much- make sure to respect the strainers in-out direction and you should be fine-

I should have said keep both pieces as short as possible.

You could put an additional sea cock in line, but with a newer unit you can pull and dump so quickly you wont take much if any water.

Fact is when it comes to this particular component there are plenty of really high quality choices.

When you get it in you need to know it will be even more sensitive to a dry impeller and that this maintenance might go up.

Be aware of how long between firings- if its been longer than 3-4 weeks always "pre-charge" the strainer with water before you hit the ramp.

Let us know how you go.

UD
Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Has anyone tried this type?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...70&classNum=71
Not as pretty as the Marine Machine strainer, but it seems it would still function the same and cost is about 1/4 the price of the Marine Machine strainer
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where are you going to mount it? That's the only reason I don't have one.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Registered

Default Sea Strainer

I am running Livorsi (Teague) 5" sea strainers on twin 600SCI's in a Cobalt 343. They work well but clog up quickly in the Key West Bay area. I am thinking of going to the 10" cans for longer run time between cleaning (it's no holiday when you have to climb into the hot bilge while in the ocean). Is it possible to add some 3 or 4 way valves and backflush the strainer?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Marine Machine, they give you a wrench and its one twist and cleanout, I had them on my Mistress. I have Eddie marine on my top gun. They are ok, but hard to get into. You need to loosen 12-16 screws each
Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 AM
Registered

I have 4 Stainless marine strainers listed in the swap section, for less than half the price of a new one.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Registered

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/close...m#seastrainers
Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

Default Sea Strainer

I am running Livorsi 5" cans on 600SCI (twins) with Merc XR low water pickup. They work very well but need to be cleaned out after 1 hour of running through Kelp patches and Turle Grass. I would like to change to something that has a "back flush" feature to dump the seaweed into the bilge. Anyone know of a product that has this? Or can I make up a systme with ball valves and hoses to create a back wash?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.