Sea Strainer recommendations.... >

Sea Strainer recommendations....

Notices

Sea Strainer recommendations....

Old 11-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are Gil/CORSA units, which I have on my boat. The band clamp can be a bit tough, depending on where you have them mounted, but as long as you keep a little silicone grease on the lid o-ring, they work very well. No tools required and reasonably priced. Available in several different right- and left-hand layouts.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Balaboys
I am running Livorsi 5" cans on 600SCI (twins) with Merc XR low water pickup. They work very well but need to be cleaned out after 1 hour of running through Kelp patches and Turle Grass. I would like to change to something that has a "back flush" feature to dump the seaweed into the bilge. Anyone know of a product that has this? Or can I make up a systme with ball valves and hoses to create a back wash?
Not likely, as for many this means directly putting salt water into the bilge. Do your strainers have removable baskets that you can pull out and shake out overboard? If you do not, I would advise finding some that do. The ones with fixed baskets/screens are kind of hard to clean.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Oh yeah- I also like the fact that the the nut, lid, and strainer basket all come off as one piece ( you can separate them later if you want) but its a quick process with no small parts to lose.

Get an integrated flush out so you can screw the hose right into the boat, it will help dramatically with flushing and keep the impellers running longer-

Make damm sure you keep the length between the strainer and teh impeller as short as possible- too much length and youll lose impellers left and right.

Uncle Dave
dave whats to much length? mines like 18 to 24 '' on a Gil strainer its worked 15yrs, but I am using a large one on the blower motor which should be about the same so what do you call to far thanks. art
Old 11-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phughes69
Has anyone tried this type?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...70&classNum=71
Not as pretty as the Marine Machine strainer, but it seems it would still function the same and cost is about 1/4 the price of the Marine Machine strainer
no way cheapest is a gil = harden marine also livorsi GS bought them out it should be about 250 to 279 now.

Last edited by AIR TIME; 11-25-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Registered

Wink

the GS is THE OLD GIL =274.00 its easy to take a part and for a stock big block is fine, I used it with 650hp.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
dave whats to much length? mines like 18 to 24 '' on a Gil strainer its worked 15yrs, but I am using a large one on the blower motor which should be about the same so what do you call to far thanks. art
Good question "too much" can be answered a couple of ways.

Any length more than the minimum necessary to make the run is one definition. Ive see then plumbed from right at the stern 8 inches from the sea pump to all the way to under a ski locker between seats- its common to mount them in front of the engines for convienence but the hose length gets long pretty quickly.

The longer the hose the harder and longer the water pump runs "dry" before getting wet.

Too much is any length too long to fill the strainer when completely dry before eating an impeller. I learned the hard way to ALWAYS prime up a strainer after the boat has sat and drained down completely.

Uncle Dave
Old 11-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Registered

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding on something that hasn't been addressed so far is if your boat comes out of the water, the sea strainer will hold some water so the impeller doesn't become dry, and the 10" would hold more water then the 5", which means it would better protect your engine.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding on something that hasn't been addressed so far is if your boat comes out of the water, the sea strainer will hold some water so the impeller doesn't become dry, and the 10" would hold more water then the 5", which means it would better protect your engine.

Yes, and bigger strainers can buffer "air time" better than small ones and can fill back up quicker than teh suction load on them.

The issue with line length is the dry run time at start up and the amount of vacuum your pump must pull to prime the system first shot.

UD.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Those are Gil/CORSA units, which I have on my boat. The band clamp can be a bit tough, depending on where you have them mounted, but as long as you keep a little silicone grease on the lid o-ring, they work very well. No tools required and reasonably priced. Available in several different right- and left-hand layouts.
I had one of those and thought it was a bit of a pain in the ass. The rbber o-ring had to be aligned just perfectly or it would leak. It would take a few times till you got it just right.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Registered

I have a couple Gil/CORSA units and they work fine. I agree with ActiveFun, they can be a pain to get sealed back up and the clamp can be hard to deal with also.
I have a question about mounting....Is the height of the strainer critical? I want to move mine up say 2" rite now they are flush with a floorboard in my motor compartment and that makes dealing with that clamp a bear. Can I safely move them up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.