Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Light Duty Anchors......Fortress (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/210074-light-duty-anchors-fortress.html)

Here's Johnny 06-02-2009 07:59 AM

Light Duty Anchors......Fortress

I have a Fortress anchor for my 35' Sonic..... this anchor is rated for a 35' to 40' boat........ the anchor sets 1st shot in our muddy bottoms and holds well...... My problem is I hate lugging the thing out of the cabin and pulling it up when done for the day. I was considering getting the same anchor but much smaller. I usually only anchor on calm days in semi closed bays...... anyone else use an anchor that is under rated for there boat.......?? How does it hold on calm days....?

t500hps 06-02-2009 08:16 AM

I carry a second smaller anchor just like you describe......ususally use it to anchor the rear of the boat when backed up to the beach though. It would hold as you describe if needed.

BeakBoater35 06-02-2009 08:23 AM

Yep, I carry a Fortress conservetively rated for the boat and another small anchor, with smaller line, that I use as a "day anchor"...

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny (Post 2878345)
I have a Fortress anchor for my 35' Sonic..... this anchor is rated for a 35' to 40' boat........ the anchor sets 1st shot in our muddy bottoms and holds well...... My problem is I hate lugging the thing out of the cabin and pulling it up when done for the day. I was considering getting the same anchor but much smaller. I usually only anchor on calm days in semi closed bays...... anyone else use an anchor that is under rated for there boat.......?? How does it hold on calm days....?

Indy 06-02-2009 09:54 AM

I threw away my Fortress anchor and got a Box Anchor and it was the best boating accessory purchase I ever made. I got the large one and it worked great, however many here use the smaller one with equal results. The large is probably 1000 time heavier than your Fortress, but the small might be the ticket. Maybe someone will chime in here if they own one.

J.B. Marshall 06-02-2009 11:49 AM

I have an aluminum Fortress (don't remember the model), it breaks down and is stowed in it's own slim nylon carry case and I store it in one of side gunnels. It takes about 90 seconds to put together to drop into the water.

laszlo01 06-02-2009 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall (Post 2878571)
I have an aluminum Fortress (don't remember the model), it breaks down and is stowed in it's own slim nylon carry case and I store it in one of side gunnels. It takes about 90 seconds to put together to drop into the water.

I use the FX-16 and you can break it down and store it in the carry bag, also carry the Commando as a second anchor for when you back up to the beach, perfect set up.

Stormrider 06-02-2009 12:41 PM

A small box anchor would do.

Here's Johnny 06-02-2009 12:49 PM

I have a large box anchor and use to use it on my old 25'.... It would catch first shot but with the mud on the south shore I would always drift throughout the day. I think I am gonna try the small Fortress... My current one holds like I was tied to a building..... A small one should hold me on calm days.... Thanks guys......

glassdave 06-02-2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35 (Post 2878369)
Yep, I carry a Fortress conservetively rated for the boat and another small anchor, with smaller line, that I use as a "day anchor"...

same here. on the 38 i have the correct sized anchor for the boat and a smaller one that i use most of the time. In fact i think i have only had the big one out like once or twice to hold a big raft line. If its to rough out there for me to set with the small anchor i'm probably not gonna be out there anyway, thats no fun. I do keep a big one stowed for emergency use.

Here's Johnny 06-02-2009 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2878666)
same here. on the 38 i have the correct sized anchor for the boat and a smaller one that i use most of the time. In fact i think i have only had the big one out like once or twice to hold a big raft line. If its to rough out there for me to set with the small anchor i'm probably not gonna be out there anyway, thats no fun. I do keep a big one stowed for emergency use.

sounds like a plan....