Anybody Run West 1/2 Lake Erie?? >

Anybody Run West 1/2 Lake Erie??

Notices

Anybody Run West 1/2 Lake Erie??

Old 03-29-2002, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default customs

From what I read and from what people say there seams to be some confusion as to what is the correct way to go between the US and Canada. From what I’ve read if you go from the US and even drop anchor in Canadian waters you are considered to be on Canadian soil. If you go on land they require you to check in by phone. It could end here or they can send someone down for inspection or even make you report to a customs or immigration station miles away. (this probably rarely happens)
One thing people fail to do is report back to US customs when they return to the US. They could make your life miserable if they wanted to by not reporting back in.
Think of it the same as if you drive across the border. They make you stop on the way in and also on the way back. It’s all documented by Canada or the US when you reported and I’m sure they share information especially now.
Here are some links to information about it.
http://www.cruising.ca/docs/USAE.html#I-68
http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...html#P256_9720

I'm just trying to find out the proper way to do things and it looks to me like to be safe you better report back to the US.
I look at it a little like going over the speed limit. Everyone does it and you know that it is against the law and if you continue to do it enough times sooner or later your going to get caught.
The differance with the border crossings is did you know that you needed to check in apon return.
Cordell
Old 03-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Registered

Default Chris

I'm all for it, just want to get it all together. Give me a "BLUE"
Cordell
Old 03-30-2002, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts
Question CUSTOMS??

Have'nt been over since Sept 11, but for the last 20 years it's been a pone call, period!
Every Canadian port I've been to.
Here's a question for yah, if yah want to do the right thing when you get back to the good ole US of A, who you gonna call??
Been kind of a joke really.
US enforced a dumb as law several years ago that required a seperate form for us to get back in.
It was called an I99 or something like that.
The Canadinas even thought it was a joke. We (US govt) never even paid attention to this until they realized they could charge us for it.
The freakin form was like $200. and was only good for a year!!
It would only get you one guest in with you, so if you had more than one person, $$$$$$$$$.
I heard they were going to do that after I and my parents have had such great luck and respect for the Canadian Customs and never (parents boated the great lakes since the '50's) even heard a question from any US authorities.
I never paid and said F%$^, let em come and get me!
Been one thing if the US had been paying attention for the last 50 yr's. But not until they figured thay could tax us "RICH" defensless boaters!!
They finally revoked it because it was so stupid!!
Call Scudder Marina @ 519-724-2377 and ask them what they do.
I've got the Custom's # around here some where too.
Legally once you touch ground for sure, at anchor not sure???
Same thing for Leamington Marina 519-326-0834, both places will hand you their phone after they've dialed the number. All while your still paying for dockeage.
I've met a lot of people that have "heard" what to expect, but again, just been a phone call for me. Always.
You are right too , they can and will inspect your boat depending on what and where.
Never been done to me though!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-30-2002 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:57 PM
Registered

Default Customs and Border crossings

Gary (Twin O/B Sonic)
Don’t get me wrong. I am only posting what I see on here that is listed at the Custom site and Immigration site that tells what is required. If you have been doing it a certain way for 20 years without a problem continue to do so. I just don’t want to be the one that is made an example of because of miss information. The good thing that is coming out of this post is that it is making me research the subject more so I will know what is expected of me for the trip to Canada and also the return to the US.
I just got off the phone with a Customs inspector and was told that you MUST report back in to the United States or could face forfeiture of your boat and possible jail time.
If you want to verify it call
Cleveland
(440) 267-3600
Toledo-Sandusky
1. (888) 523-2628
2. (419) 259-6424
3. (419) 625-0022
This is a number that he also gave me to the Customs Management Center for LAKE ERIE : 716-626-0400

The form you referred to is called an I-68 form. It was for Immigrations and the cost was $16 with a max of $32 per family. After calling the 888 # above and listing to the recording it says that you can use the # to call and leave a message before leaving Canada, while in route from Canada on a cell phone, or when you make land in the US.
1) Give registration #
2) Length of boat (note that if the boat is over 30 feet in length you must provide a number from the customs decal that you are suppose to have purchased for $25.)
3) Name & Date of birth of the captain
4) # of passengers on board
5) Anything to declare
6) What Marina you will be going to
It also states that the I-68 form and the video phone does not satisfy the requirements of the US Customs.

Each boat entering a U.S. dock or anchorage , must properly report-in to the closest international port-of-entry (POE) to the United States. Officials of the U.S. Government inspect all persons arriving. There are four separate inspections. Customs, Immigration, Public Health, and Agriculture. You may only talk to one official who does all four inspections or you may talk to more than one official.

If your boat has anchored or tied up, you are considered to have entered the United States. No one shall board or leave the boat without first completing customs processing, unless permission to do so is granted by the Customs officer in charge. The only exception to this requirement is to report arrival.
If it is necessary for someone to leave the boat to report arrival to U.S. Customs, he or she must return to the boat after reporting and remain on board. No one who arrived on that boat may leave until the Customs officer grants permission to go ashore. Violations may result in substantial penalties and forfeiture of the boat.
This is what to do going to Canada.
The captain of a boat arriving in Canada must report to Canadian Customs immediately upon arrival. You must report in at designated stations, but, as a convenience, most marinas are eligible and have instructions and toll-free phone numbers posted. You should be prepared to wait for an inspector or to move your boat to another location if required. Be sure to keep all passengers on board until you have cleared entry procedures.
Have your boat license or registration information with you as well as the full names, citizenship, birth dates, and addresses of all persons on board when you talk to the customs agent. Make an entry in your own ship's log (date, agent's name, location of entry, clearance number) for reference.
You can report to Canadian Customs, toll free at 1-800-265-5633 24 hours a day.
I’ve taken this information off of various sites in the hopes that I can help others who want to make the border crossings.
I hope to see you (Gary) this summer on Pelee and thanks for the great detailed discription of the island.
Cordell
Old 03-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Thanx for the update Cordell

And,no problem.
I come off as a red neck know it all some times?? Go figure!
The I-68 form is not what I was referring to though.
This has been 3 - 5 yrs ago?? It was big bucks, was stupid, and no one ever schecked for them before it was taken from the books.
In all ohnesty too, I don't know any one that has ever called to clear coming back inot the US side.
I can see though if you call and ask the right person the will quote you the law as written.
I would like to be at Scudder though the first time you check in.
Gurantee'd to give you a laugh.
First time I ever did it at Pelee was when they used to do right in there own customs office at the West dock. (now you "have" to call the 800# even from their office??)
Anyhow, a buddy and I had anchored off the beach and dinghied into West dock.
The customs officer looked to be about 19 or so.
We asked him where a good place for a beer was. He pointed across the street to "West View Tavern" and said, "thats where I'll be in about 3 hrs".
We drank with him until wee hrs. He also told us the un-offical lay of the land.
You are smart in doing your home work before your first trip. Don't want any suprises at the start of a long nice weekend.
Also, FYI. They have 2 annual Phesant hunts on the island and also have a shot gun target range.
A friend of mine came down from Detroit by boat and brought his own shot gun and declared it at customs with no problem.
P.S. When you're telling the Customs people about how your hill billy friend does it, don't use my name
Still shooting for next weekend.
May have time to post pictures tomorrow.
Gary
Old 03-31-2002, 10:13 PM
Registered

Gary,
You be the ginnie pig next weekend and let us know how it turns out.
That boat is just so fast that you have it loaded on the trailer and are half way home before they relize what happened.
If you get the skinny on things let me know.
Hope to have a cold "Canadian" brew with you this summer. Don't worry, I'll never tell!!!!
Cordell
Old 04-02-2002, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panteraman28

I grew up on the Ohio river, and enjoy it as much as I can still today, but I have a small, outboard river boat for the Ohio.

I always wondered why there are so many 24, 28, 30 foot and bigger go-fast, bad-ass, offshore powerboats that only boat on the Ohio river. Lake Erie is only three and a half, maybe four hours north of Cinci, why aren't they pulling their rigs up north? Huge waves are what offshore boats are built for. There is a ton of stuff to see and do on Lake Erie, not to mention, you can get to the other great lakes from there as well.
You can actually be "offshore" on the great lakes.

This is not intended to be a flame, I just hear it all the time from guys on Lake Cumberland and the Ohio river, "Hey, bring that boat down here, no big waves, other big boats." So I do it. I tow to the river and Lake Cumberland, spend a long weekend, and basically see everything there is to see on their lake or river.

Doesn't it get old doing the same thing week in and week out?
I don't know what you do for boating, or where all you go, so it isn't fair to group you in with "these people" without knowing what you do, but I don't see the attraction to the same puddle every year.

Sorry if I am coming off like a jerk, but the guys that invite me to the puddles never hold up their end of the deal and give Lake Erie a chance.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cordell
You said you wanted a "Blue" or did you mean "BOOOO"
Old 04-02-2002, 06:34 PM
Registered

Thumbs up FLYINBRIAN

DITTO!
Could'nt have siad it better myself!!
Cats are for flat water (Ohio River, Cumberland), Vee's are for the Big Water!!
Brian, let me know any time your up and we'll try and hook up.
I'll give you the $2. tour
Old 04-02-2002, 06:49 PM
Registered

Thumbs up DEL SOL

Sorry, missed your post.
Would love to hook up in a few weeks.
Have you dove on the wrecks around Point Pelee??

Quick Reply: Anybody Run West 1/2 Lake Erie??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.