Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How does aftermarket HP affect NADA values? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/210298-how-does-aftermarket-hp-affect-nada-values.html)

stereoman405 06-04-2009 04:04 PM

How does aftermarket HP affect NADA values?

Does building your motor add to the the NADA value of your boat? Seems like it should based on the addition it gives for larger motors on there.

What have you guys run into? I'm guessing a lot of it depends on the bank doing the loan. But looking at my Mariah, if I spend $4k - $5k to supercharge my motor to 475HP, does that REALLY add the same NADA value ($7,700) as having a stock 475HP 8.1L??

(Not to influence the results here, but this would help me justify the cost to my wife. :ernaehrung004:)

t500hps 06-04-2009 04:17 PM

While your logic makes sense, it doesn't work and a modified motor may actually turn some buyers away.

DMOORE 06-04-2009 04:50 PM

NADA values are a joke when it comes to boats. It seems the only people who use it are the lenders.

Darrell.

rlj676 06-04-2009 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by stereoman405 (Post 2880737)
Does building your motor add to the the NADA value of your boat? Seems like it should based on the addition it gives for larger motors on there.

What have you guys run into? I'm guessing a lot of it depends on the bank doing the loan. But looking at my Mariah, if I spend $4k - $5k to supercharge my motor to 475HP, does that REALLY add the same NADA value ($7,700) as having a stock 475HP 8.1L??

(Not to influence the results here, but this would help me justify the cost to my wife. :ernaehrung004:)

I'll add to the "NADA value" for the lender, but could make it harder to sell/lower the value to a buyer. Sort of a catch 22.

RaggedEdge 06-04-2009 06:54 PM

DIY power is, more often than not, a deduct in the mind of the buyer. Most will assume you have no clue as to what you are doing and the engine will fail. Then they will have the expense of making it right, which they will deduct from what they are willing to pay for the boat. While Sterling power might well fetch you some more bucks, "Bubba's Perf Shop" or "I done it myself" motors will likely drop the value of your boat.

Bigsbetter 06-04-2009 08:44 PM

I see a modified motor as a deduct also. Unless it just looked perfect and no expense spared. I'd rather have the Factory Mercruiser engine and do my own hop-ups.

stereoman405 06-04-2009 11:36 PM

Thanks guys. That's the general consensus that I'm starting to hear. I'm 'new' to performance boating so its a slightly different world. I've built supercharged / turbo'd trucks that always found buyers that were willing to pay me almost dollar for dollar what I put in. But I can see that a potential buyer would be turned off since a broken down day in a boat is A LOT different than having your car break down.

articfriends 06-04-2009 11:44 PM

Stock my 272 baja is worth about 25-30 grand,add the price of my 30 plus thousand dollar motor,drive and mods and guess what,the boat wouldn't sell for 15 grand if I tried,Smitty

stereoman405 06-12-2009 09:45 AM

To add a twist to this question, if a boat came stock with an HP 500 EFI motor could you more realistically adjust the value without as much fear of lowered resale? I know it always comes down to the buyer, but I figured if it was an OEM setup that I keep stock it could be more appealing on the backside.

AIR TIME 06-12-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by stereoman405 (Post 2886737)
To add a twist to this question, if a boat came stock with an HP 500 EFI motor could you more realistically adjust the value without as much fear of lowered resale? I know it always comes down to the buyer, but I figured if it was an OEM setup that I keep stock it could be more appealing on the backside.

yah it would to a point, but you won't get the extra 30 or 40 grand a blue motor cost. WHAT I plan to do is put a stock motor back in or sell it just about bare and put the hp stuff in a new hull, cause my next boat looks to be a custom hull no drive, motor,steering or guages:eek: the good thing is I have had my boat for 20years bought it below wholesale when I did buy it so in the end I will only loose 10 to 12 grand this fall or winter. if I sell it. if I repower it with stock power I will loose 2grand. like I said I bought it right 1 1/2 yrs old from a dealership that was in trouble.