Notices

Garmin GPS 640....?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin GPS 640....?

Anyone use or own the Garmin GPS Map 640...... I went to west marine and they showed me this unit. It seems perfect for my needs......If I go any larger it would have to go in front of the passenger which I don't really want to do. This has touch screen and is able to work with the G2 Vision cards. Seems much better then the small hand helds out there. I just want to see if it performs like they say it does.....or should I just go larger and put it in front of the passenger....which I just don't think is convenient......

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=14898#
Attached Thumbnails Garmin GPS 640....?-august122007008.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Registered
Gold Member

The 640 is a kick azz unit, pre loaded with coastline detail of the whole US, touch screen ,and ready for street nav as well.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Registered

Did you end up getting the 640? How do you like it? Are there other units on the market that are comparable for under $1500? This looks like the perfect unit for my set up, I'll just use the ram suction cup mount to the left of my gages.

I just returned the GPS 478, I was not happy with that model at all. I think someone else had used it and returned it becuase the battery lasted less than two hours and I did not have the screen very bright. Also I was dissapointed that it was only a "point to point" nav unit which means no turn by turn directions on the water. I'm on the bay which means I have to watch out for shallow areas as well as high and low tides. Overall just clunky operation while underway.