Notices

Jacksonville Run

Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by tzrider
First outboard cat to the bridge ( skater of course). purple, yellow and says RAZOR EDGE on the side. Towed into town with the top notch Sterling dump truck ( don't believe me just ask everyone who got shuttled in the back to the marina.. we have pictures)...lol..
Seriously we had an awesome time, saw some old friends and met a hell of alot of new ones, Jim Lee ( freedom) was a pleasure meeting you as was it a pleasure meeting Jim Wiley, Danny, Sean and his wife Tonya ( Wanna Play) Zach and his girl Dana.. The list goes on.
Hey Paul, nice meetin you! Love your boat.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 06-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
She got some shots Saturday nite that will be classics, I guarantee it.
I'm sure, but I am mainly interested in 2 of them....
Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
Hey Paul, nice meetin you! Love your boat.

Great shot. Thanks for all of the work Jay and Lori. I am glad it's paying off for you.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, looks like a great time despite the weather not fully cooperating?!

Can someone explain something, if they have the time:

If I pull my boat the 1000 miles to go visit all my buddies at a run, and my buddies & I want to run fast with each other, FULLY clear of any of the rest of the group, and any other spectators, what's wrong with that?

No, the poker run is not a race, but if 2,3,4, etc, friends want to see how they stack up against some friends, SAFELY, I see no issue with that? The ones that seem to complain, aren't even in any danger? No, your insurance WILL NOT go up on your Formula/Baja/etc, if some guys with completely different insurance companies AND policies all together hurt themselves driving THEIR boat?

I absolutely agree that if someone decides to run up the middle of a group running 70mph at 120+, they are being very unsafe, and should be kicked out of the event. I don't agree that people should complain about a few guys running WAAAY up front with each other, using the card stop, or bridge, as their "finish line"? It's fun for the spectators that have drooled all over the boats, waiting for them to run, and fun for the entrants that haven't seen their other freinds' boats in months?

I'm just looking for the difference in any regular weekend of running fast, where there aren't coast guard, or newspaper notices the week before, and a regular ol Poker Run where the boats in question are MILES ahead of the pack in MOST cases?

Back home we run fast together EVERY WEEKEND. 4-5 cats, plenty of room between each other, and either in the morning, or late in the evening so that there are minimal Sea Doo's/boaters out there. What's the difference? I'm sure others with fast boats like to run them fast, in the right conditions, on any given weekend? Is the weekend not a race now? We get 10x's the seat time & experience leading into a good run, over the people that ONLY run their boat at poker runs, or ever "racers" that run once a month. I don't mean the real racers that test all week, & weekend. I mean the guys "racing" just for the image.

I just feel like if the fast guys want to group up and run faster than the rest, they should be able to without catching hell from the bench, assuming they are using a VERY safe distance from others that want to cruise?

Shootouts & radar runs are one blown drive, or steering cable away from sending a 140mph missle through a 500 boat raft up. and MANY of the regular complainers are tied up, drunk, IN THAT RAFT UP, but see it as safe because it's......"______"??

I'm not looking for someone to come rant about how they pulled in front of a fast boat to let their kids see it, and got buzzed as a result......which happens at times when the FAMILY boat, puts themselves in front of the train.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee

If I pull my boat the 1000 miles to go visit all my buddies at a run, and my buddies & I want to run fast with each other, FULLY clear of any of the rest of the group, and any other spectators, what's wrong with that?

No, the poker run is not a race, but if 2,3,4, etc, friends want to see how they stack up against some friends, SAFELY, I see no issue with that? The ones that seem to complain, aren't even in any danger? No, your insurance WILL NOT go up on your Formula/Baja/etc, if some guys with completely different insurance companies AND policies all together hurt themselves driving THEIR boat?

I absolutely agree that if someone decides to run up the middle of a group running 70mph at 120+, they are being very unsafe, and should be kicked out of the event. I don't agree that people should complain about a few guys running WAAAY up front with each other, using the card stop, or bridge, as their "finish line"? It's fun for the spectators that have drooled all over the boats, waiting for them to run, and fun for the entrants that haven't seen their other freinds' boats in months?

I'm just looking for the difference in any regular weekend of running fast, where there aren't coast guard, or newspaper notices the week before, and a regular ol Poker Run where the boats in question are MILES ahead of the pack in MOST cases?

Back home we run fast together EVERY WEEKEND. 4-5 cats, plenty of room between each other, and either in the morning, or late in the evening so that there are minimal Sea Doo's/boaters out there. What's the difference? I'm sure others with fast boats like to run them fast, in the right conditions, on any given weekend? Is the weekend not a race now? We get 10x's the seat time & experience leading into a good run, over the people that ONLY run their boat at poker runs, or ever "racers" that run once a month. I don't mean the real racers that test all week, & weekend. I mean the guys "racing" just for the image.

I just feel like if the fast guys want to group up and run faster than the rest, they should be able to without catching hell from the bench, assuming they are using a VERY safe distance from others that want to cruise?

Shootouts & radar runs are one blown drive, or steering cable away from sending a 140mph missle through a 500 boat raft up. and MANY of the regular complainers are tied up, drunk, IN THAT RAFT UP, but see it as safe because it's......"______"??

I'm not looking for someone to come rant about how they pulled in front of a fast boat to let their kids see it, and got buzzed as a result......which happens at times when the FAMILY boat, puts themselves in front of the train.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brandon,
I will try since I/we have been messaging this for a number of years now.

A recreational performance boating event is just that, RECREATIONAL. There is no prize, no penalty for breaking down or being late. Furthermore there is no expectation to run flat at all costs.

A race is setting up the expectation to see if you have it, can do it and do it long enough to win.

Our Bimini Race is a perfect example. If you really think you got it we are having a full blown race. You can enter your regular pleasure boat and with a few mods you can throttle your way into history.
Full command and control, over $30K in fully paid dive rescue guys in jet rangers, permits everything.

A performance pleasure boat event leaves no expectation to win. This is all about messaging and allowing responsible people to demonstrate responsibility and accountability. The reality is the nature of who we are and what we do brings competitive nature and enthusiastic spirit for a group with very similar personality profiles; successful, competitive, and full of life. These are lifestyle events and this is why they are so successful compared to races.

In reality recreational events such as a poker run do not need ant permits. The federal regulations of course are open to interpretation but within 33 CFR doing defines what we do.
Example: The Key West Poker Run covers two separate Coast Guard Sectors. The CFR’s state you MUST submit the application to the district office. The reality is the district office will not accept them. For the last three years I have done the permitting directly and Key West gives us a permit and Miami sends a non permit letter because Miami know how to read the law. If we don’t submit an application for review we get harassed because the casual observer views what we do as a race.

What the Coast Guard did in Seattle was completely inappropriate. You cannot tell a recreational boater he can’t run to lunch with a group of his friends who came into town for a few days.

I already have the initial permits done for Miami Key West Race and a Miami New York race. You can only imagine how they stumbled on those.

Analogy: Does a car club need a permit to roll together to a car race or go to dinner? No but they must follow all the rules of the road.

Pleasure boating event: We go to lunch and to dinner and to a race. As long as we follow all the rules as any other recreational boat we are good. No permit nothing else is required. If you have attended the boat school or one of my safety meetings you all know about the speed limit rule. You know speed is NOT a primary causal factor in any incident. You know accidents dont just happen and you know each individual must be responsible and accountable for their own actions.

FINALLY: A follow-up about messaging;
I will never allow a race boat at a poker run, I will never fly dive rescue helos or med personnel at a poke run, I will never allow a flag or shotgun start. As soon as you doing anything like this you establish an expectation.

We wear our lifejackets all the time because of messaging and if something bad occurs we are wearing a active response device to help us. REMEMBER life jackets do not prevent boat accidents as it seems we are way too concerned about responsive safety equipment rather than prevenative measures both active and passive.

“Transparent communication breeds corrective human behavior”
This is just my way of saying we take care of our own and if you do somthing stupid on the waterway and bring unnacceptable risk to me or my friends I will not hesitate, not for one second to let you know about it.
Trivia ?; Real definition of wake?
I 'm out I have a boat race to get ready for
STAY SAFE!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Cat & Mice
Sorry but it does not matter who was leading the pack if he had problems and didn't finish. It takes a lot of preparation and patience to keep your gear together to finish.

Congrats to the guy that got there first. That is a accomplishment no matter how you look at it.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone push hard to lead early then break and finish last. That goes for Races, Poker Runs, or drinking with your buddies. patience and preparation!!

Just my opinion

MP
This was more of a drag race for a few miles, not a 60mile race where you have time to hold back a little, Bill was leading and broke again thats to bad it would of been nice to see if he would of made it. maybe DEAN GELLNER POWER would work better or turbines like KNOT RIGHT has but it is a long drag race to the bridge both boats are cool so congrats to Gino on the 1st to the bridge. and good luck to both next week at the big race where you have to pace yourself or hope your blower motors will last at 6800rpm for a hour or under
Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by DaveP
And this is what is wrong with people at poker runs today and why accidents happen.

I was first to the card stop, I was first to the bridge, blah blah blah...

Want to impress everyone? Go racing and see if you can beat John Tomlinson, Bob Teague and the professionals. Thats something to brag about.

And the accident that occurred today in Norway during a Poker Run is more evidence that racing has no place in poker runs....period!

http://www5.tranexp.com:2000/Transla...d%2F6595016%2F

DAVE,

Some good thoughts, but who wants to de-tune their boat to run with the above mentioned. Secondly who wants to run with just one other boat , which seems to be quite common in boat racing these days. At Jacksonville there were 100 boats entered, and you could start in any group you wanted to. Police divers were out, along with para-medics from the Fire dept. The FWC, and Coast Guard. Granted they were there to watch the spectacle but it is nice to know we have many friends available to us if we need help.

Your runs are legendary and well respected but sometime you just got to let The Big Dog Eat. On the St. Johns river it is over three miles long and un-limited speed for the next 100 miles.If the Testerone needs to be released this is the place to do it.

One last thought, ALL the money left over after the bills are paid go to Charity, when was the last time you saw a Boat Race for Charity?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee

Brandon good observation but the way this run has been set up for the last 5 years I attended your idea of boating is the same as the organizers so it would not be a problem.

I have a boat that runs 73 on its best day and am smart enough to stay clear of the "train." I get to see the fast boats at the start, heading to the next stop while I approach their last stop and then again at lunch. I have never had a close call at this run since all the heavy metal is up in front. It is a great run and should stay organized the way it is......
Old 06-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Whoever said they don't have any hotties in Jacksonville wasn't looking in the right places !!
Yea you could say that. You done good..lol. GREAT seeing you again. Here's a couple more to add to your private collection. 8-)
xoxo
Attached Thumbnails Jacksonville Run-cash-bar-sat-ngt-party-jpeg-279.jpg  

Last edited by Cash Bar; 06-08-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.