HELP! Looking for Mercruiser Mechanic >

HELP! Looking for Mercruiser Mechanic

Notices

HELP! Looking for Mercruiser Mechanic

Old 03-27-2002, 08:29 PM
AWELSH

Default HELP! Looking for Mercruiser Mechanic

Hello everyone,
First let me start by saying I really enjoy reading all the questions and answers on this site. Now the problem!!! I've had my boat (Convincor 270 w/496mag) since last august , the place I bought my boat, Owen's Marine in New Hampshire prices their boats competitively. Unfortunately their service is terrible. I've had problems from the beginning. I have several mechanical issues I need dealt with and since I'm still under warranty I'd like to find a certified mercruiser mechanic in my general area (Westboro, MA) which is 30 miles west of Boston, MA who will take my concerns seriously.
Hear is an example of one of my problems and the dealers response. With about 25 hours on the boat I stopped babying it all the time and started having a little fun, goosing the gas while cruising, not beating on it. I briefly smelled burning rubber, gauges looked fine so I went on my merry way . The next morning while checking the oil I noticed bits of rubber all over the engine compartment, it was from my serpentine belt. The amount of rubber the belt looses varies from one outing to the next, although the boat has been used very little since discovering this because I don't think its right. To me when I compare it to my trucks belt it looks worn beyond its 25 hours. I also told Owen's Marine the belt rides about a half inch off of one of the idler pullies.
Dealers response: Belt looks fine, we watched it spin and there was no noticable problem. We can't replace it unless it breaks!!!!!!!
If anyone can give me some names and numbers I would be forever greatful. I don't want to deal with Owen's Marine anymore.

Old 03-27-2002, 08:55 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a Merc mechanic but I have made my living spinning wrenches for a long time. If your belt is hanging 1/2" off an idler pulley, that is probably the source of your problem. Pulley alignment is important, the belt must be properly supported. I would carry a spare until you get it fixed, cause its only a matter of time before it lets loose. Make sure your service visits are well documented, if no repair is made, have them document that. That way if you have a related problem once the waranty is up, you will be able to prove it is an unresolved warranty issue. Call Merc and ask who in your area they would recommend .
Old 03-27-2002, 09:16 PM
GOT MERC?

Cool

Hey AWELSH,
Have you ever heard of Bill Amidon at All Sports Marine?
I do some Biz with him and he is in your neck of the woods.
If you want his # email me at [email protected]
Old 03-27-2002, 09:54 PM
Registered

AWELSH, I live in Hingham MA. I have used Bills Outboard for my Merc Rep for the last 10 years, they are excellent. Strong repore with Merc on Warranty issues. Give them a call ask for Donna (781)749-1303. Good Luck, Mark B. Let me know if I can help further.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:50 PM
AWELSH

Thanks for the replies guys. Its definately a start. Hope everyone has an excellent boating season!!!!!

Old 03-28-2002, 07:12 PM
Gin and Sonic

I used a guy in Norwood, MA. His name is Tom Caughlin. He was recomended from all the go-fast boaters in the area. I bought a 38 Sonic with two cracked 500EFI's and a bad drive. He rebuilt the motors to PERFECTION! My father and I hammered on these things all summer with absolutly no problem.
Caughlin Machine Shop 781-769-9900
He is Certified.