Notices

Cat Towing

Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You don't want to drive I-95N on a Sunday anyhow. You are better off waiting until between rush hours on Monday.
I haul for a living. You can't hit the tunnel in Baltimore, period!!! If you go down 301 no problem at Annapolis Bridge. With the economy the way it is, they will nail you and nail you hard. If you have any questions, call me: 954-646-6070.

Can't figure out how to double reply... I think I will wait until Monday. One more day on the water will not be bad anyway.
I have no problem taking 301 down. Funny the lady never said I couldn't do the tunnel.

Thanks again

Were going to VA
Old 06-23-2009, 06:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

It can take up to 48 hrs to get your permits - don't wait until the last minute - make sure your permits are "double" you need a "return" permit - The details are on the permits, read each carefully, daylight hours, city limits, toll roads etc... DOT loves the flags and flashing lights, wide load banners - all pain in the ass but cheap in the long run to keep them happy -
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Watch your registration.... You said the truck has a 17k tag.
Our F350 CC weigs 8,000 on a truck scale.
Find a local truck scale and go weigh your complete rig.
That OE on a steel trailer is certainly more than 10,000.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vehical weight / tow ratings open up a whole new can of worms. If some one gets hurt while by your overloaded vehicle, you could be sued and / or go to jail regardless of fault. Be sure to do you homework there as well.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I travel the DC Beltway and I-95 between DC and Richmond constantly and I have never seen a towed boat hassled. That's not to say it won't happen though; I just have not seen it.

STAY OFF the Beltway and I-95 between 6AM and 9:30AM and 2PM and 6:30PM. The commuter traffic will not be friendly to you with that towed load, wide or not.

You could also come down 301 from Annapolis, but you need to check the 301 Bridge over the Potomac for width.
MMareno,
good advice Brian is giving you here, I live in Annapolis and work in Springfield Va. right at the mixing bowl, he is right on with those times espicially on a Friday afternoon heading South and a Sunday heading North... I'm going down for the run this year and will be leaving my office with Top Gun in tow @ noon to miss traffic. I would stay away from the 301 bridge over the potomac, very narrow laned and you would have to hit every street light in Waldorf/LaPlata to get to the bridge. hope this helped.
Pat
Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Registered

Drive the boat by the time you buy all the permits and pay the tolls and pay for fuel for the tow rig and and and you'll find it was cheaper to drive the boat
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

just take 13 down the shore, put it at Cape Charles, head across the bay and up the James, you will burn some fuel but no bridges.

or you can take the beltway around Baltimore to avoid the tunnel
Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Registered

If northeast md. is not far from you, you can drive the boat there in just about the same amount of time pulling it.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Registered

This is exactly one of the reasons I bought a Motion. Its illegal by 7 inches but it doesn't look it, and nobody ever has any trouble towing them.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered

Everybodies advice is awesome. I will worry about it next year. The boat has hit a few more snaggs and won't be done for the run. The jet ski's are that wide. I will no problem towing them down.

Thanks again

Mario Mareno

we did set everything up with that comdata. The lady said 3days to get all permits to and from. But we won't be needing them now

Thanks

We will find something to bring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.