Notices

Cat Towing

Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Airking
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow my 36 Spectre 10.2 all the time in VA still and have towed a 38 Signiture Awesome P.O.S. from LOTO to VA 10.5 wide. even on the PA turnpike, that I owned at one time with out permits. Have traveled to Fla a couple of times with the Spectre. But that does not mean you will not get stopped and fined. It could ruin your weekend. I will be at Jamin on th James also, but in my Glasstream. Not enough seats in the Spectre.

Last edited by Boater8987; 06-22-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I travel the DC Beltway and I-95 between DC and Richmond constantly and I have never seen a towed boat hassled. That's not to say it won't happen though; I just have not seen it.

STAY OFF the Beltway and I-95 between 6AM and 9:30AM and 2PM and 6:30PM. The commuter traffic will not be friendly to you with that towed load, wide or not.

You could also come down 301 from Annapolis, but you need to check the 301 Bridge over the Potomac for width.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Registered

go with permits. when we hauled "Planetman" up and down the east coast we had more trouble in MD than most of the other states. If you need help with permits ComData is great. Depending on what you are hauling it with will dictate a lot. We were permitted for 12' wide and 98 feet long so we fell under different restrictions. Depending on your length MD will limit your movement between certain hours. We always pulled permits and never had a problem other than the weigh station in the Keys. These things are a big money maker for these states and they know if you can afford the boat then you certainly can afford the fines and as someone posted prior the fines are so hefty it is unbelievable. The problem is every state is different, we used ComData for some trips and not for others but they were always helpful. And they are not kidding about blowing the weigh stations, that is a sure fire fine and doesn't tend to make friends with DOT. Just remember DOT stands for GOD.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by powrbtr
Just remember DOT stands for GOD.

That says it all !!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by powrbtr
go with permits. when we hauled "Planetman" up and down the east coast we had more trouble in MD than most of the other states. If you need help with permits ComData is great. Depending on what you are hauling it with will dictate a lot. We were permitted for 12' wide and 98 feet long so we fell under different restrictions. Depending on your length MD will limit your movement between certain hours. We always pulled permits and never had a problem other than the weigh station in the Keys. These things are a big money maker for these states and they know if you can afford the boat then you certainly can afford the fines and as someone posted prior the fines are so hefty it is unbelievable. The problem is every state is different, we used ComData for some trips and not for others but they were always helpful. And they are not kidding about blowing the weigh stations, that is a sure fire fine and doesn't tend to make friends with DOT. Just remember DOT stands for GOD.
Do you have a link for ComData?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Registered

http://www.comdata.com/
Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Registered

4 hours drive time at 50-60 mph? How long would it take to just drive the boat there?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hot Stepper
4 hours drive time at 50-60 mph? How long would it take to just drive the boat there?
I like your thinking!!! LMAO
Old 06-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C5Steve
Do you have a link for ComData?
I do. My secretary found it today and got me all set up. Not as bad as I thought. $ 157.50 to go down and back.. The no sunday part sucks.. I may have to stay one more day and drink!! I have to call on July 6, and they will fax me all the permits to my office and we roll. In MD and VA I can go one hour before dawn and up to one hour after dusk. The people were really cool. I am only two inches over the limit.. ( the times you wish you had two inches less.. Go figure)

I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONES ADVICE...

My secretary said the lady laughed on the phone.. She said we were the only ones that ever called about moving a boat this year!!! (Deldot) LMAO... I have to give them some dimensions and weights on the application and the Hull # and Vin# of the truck. My Dually is registered for 17,000 GVW. I have to look up the boat. I would guess 10k...

As long as everything else is done we are off to VA...
Old 06-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You don't want to drive I-95N on a Sunday anyhow. You are better off waiting until between rush hours on Monday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.