Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Geico insurance general question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/211797-geico-insurance-general-question.html)

Jayl13 06-26-2009 12:00 PM

Geico insurance general question

Im not trying to stir up any bs but why in gods name does Geico Insurance pump so much money in to John Haggins race team etc and whole calvacade of boats and support boats and personnel and trucks and motorcycles and and and and when they dont insure performance boats over 25 feet?
Last time I called to get a price quote on my apache they flat out told me they dont insure performance boats over 25 feet, nothing over 365 HP and single engine.
So why in gods name do they have their names plastered all over what, 15 boats in the Hagin circus of boats, trucks, motorcycles and other stuff?

Sort of makes no sense to me.
Dont get me wrong, Im friends with Scotty and have met John 30 times at different events and is the nicest guy around and would give you the shirt off his back in a second but I just dont get the insurance company angle in all of this.
I love what he does for the sport but the sponsor needs to rethink what they are portraying out there with boats that can hit about 200 MPH but you cant get your boat insured from them if you have a single 500 HP 27 foot ride?
Come on, whats the sense in that?

packinair 06-26-2009 12:08 PM

basic logic tells me that they get more exposure and fans from the "AMF" team than any other team. I do not think they are advertising to those with turbine cats but the people lining the shores, gathering at shows, gawking on the road etc. Not to mention who knows what they give him in the form of money buy I would be willing to bet it is a minor fraction of what Haggin has invested in this team,, why would budweiser sponsor a boat when you can not drink and race?

glassdave 06-26-2009 12:20 PM

They get a tremendous amount of exposure from all the other things the team does. Boat shows and charity events. They had a ton of exposure at the Kentucky Derby this year and people remember it. Look at what they got from the Discovery channel and build it bigger. The racing is just a fraction of the actual exposure

Jayl13 06-26-2009 12:21 PM

Money is not the issue I am trying to dig up here, thats between Johns company and Geico, thats none of my business in anyway at all.
Just ticks me off big time that I cant get insurnace on my apache with large v8s in it not turbines and all that for the most part race only stuff. Like I am not going to buy an old Rusty Wallace MGD race car and drive it to work and put insurance on it but budweiser hell you have a beer AFTER the race, nothing wrong with that.
But Geico is splashed down all their boats, the outerlimits the caveman commanche *(which is damn near the same boat as I have)* and others.
Just sort of mis-leading is all that they wont even consider insuring about 80% of the boats that people here on OSO own but they sponsor the biggest most wild race team in the USA with the best equipment and most HP money can buy.
its almost a sort of slap in the face, like "Nanner nanner nanner, Geico can be shoved in your face for a whole weekend of racing but you cant call them to cover your boat cause you have twin engines or more than 25 feet"
That alone will keep me from switching my car insurance to them, I would want my houses, cars, boat, Wave runner, 77 trans am all covered by one company personally to make life alot easier not have 5 different companies if I can help it
J

Sydwayz 06-26-2009 12:24 PM

How much money is Geico pumping in? Do you know? I sure don't; nor do I have the need to know.

302Sport 06-26-2009 12:30 PM

and we all know geico wont insure boats like their race boats, so i wonder who insures the geico race boats??? :bsflag: that sort of stuff ticks me off, why is it good for them, but not good for everyone else????

Jayl13 06-26-2009 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 302Sport (Post 2897525)
and we all know geico wont insure boats like their race boats, so i wonder who insures the geico race boats??? :bsflag: that sort of stuff ticks me off, why is it good for them, but not good for everyone else????

Thats EXACTLY the point of this post, Like you know that Geico wont insure our stuff so why do they have it splashed down the whole teams boats, truck everything but they wont insure anything we have.

Just sort of mis leading

Racerngr1 06-26-2009 12:44 PM

I don't think that any insurance company insures boats for races?

Sea-Dated 06-26-2009 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Racerngr1 (Post 2897536)
I don't think that any insurance company insures boats for races?

Everything I have heard, some companies will insure them during transportation but not during the race or testing.

packinair 06-26-2009 01:01 PM

do they send the ARMY dragster into combat? Seems to me like the vast majority of people get it, and a few either are just trolling for the sake of being trolls or need to find a 3rd grader to explain it to them..